Fixing a Under the desk keyboard tray

dinkydo53545

Baseband Member
I have a Under the desk keyboard tray. I quit using years ago because I have been using a Microsoft Natural Ergo Keyboard and it wont fit on the plastic tray. I thought about taking the hardware/slider of the gray plastic tray and putting it on something like a piece of board or something. Is this possible?

I do 8 hrs of typing a day and I need the tray to be sturdy enough to support typing on a keyboard. Never really like the gray tray, it seem like it would move every time I typed and jar fingers.

Is it possible to do this.

Charlene

That's a major operation considering most use drawer sliders. Getting the separation right would be the big pain. If you don't get that right you'll find the tray and your keyboard doing a number on your kneecaps.
But yeah it can be done. It's going to take a tape measure, a square, a working knowledge of geometry, and a whole lot of patients...

I was afraid you would say something like that. I should have taken Shop classes back when I went to school in the dinosaur days instead of Home ect. I think my hubby will tell me to forget it.

I thought about leaving the tray on and putting something on top of it but I dont think that will work out. So I better leave it alone. Hubby dont have a lot of patience, lol.

Thank you .

I did find a tray big enough to accommodate the MS Ergo keyboard, and I think I made some extensions to drop it low enough to fit the keyboard under the desk, but like setishock mentioned, there is a good chance that the try will be too low and hit your lap.

If your desk is a tad higher, or you lower your chair a bit, though...

For the record, I wore out two of the big old-school ergos, but now I do everything on laptop-- no ergonomic keyboard for me anymore.
argh.gif

My U shape desk is pretty high and I have a hard time finding a chairs that go up high enough for me. I am kind of small. Hubby made me a stand that I have under partly under the stand , with my monitor on the U shape desk, but that stand is not working for me.

What if I took the plastic tray ( it has place for normal keyboard , then some compartments in front , i dont know why, ) and turned it upside down, with the bottom of tray tray pointing up. Could I put something on top of that? What kind of tray did you find?

Thanks you so much for your help

It was a tray specifically built for ergonomic keyboards. Mind you, this was some years ago (a good ten years, in fact-- I was still using Win 95 and then XP), but I'm sure a search would net you something that would work.

Personally speaking I'd just get another desk. I don't use a desk with a keyboard tray as I couldn't get used to the keyboard being so low. and since I just have a couple of laptops now it wouldn't work for me anyway.
Now that I have the money I'm going to look in to another Sauder desk kit. WalMart and Kmart carry them for real reasonable prices. Just getting it back to the hooch is the big problem...

Back
Top Bottom