Fixed old laptop, speed upgrades?

kryjen

Beta member
Hi community,
I recently fixed the power jack on my old laptop from 2008 and got it working, however it is very slow- to the point where even YouTube videos lag, and processes seem very slow.
I was wondering what hardware components I can replace/upgrade in order to speed up the system altogether.
Thanks

The DxDiag system specs include:

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Basic (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.101014-0432)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: eMachines
System Model: eMachines D620
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBLl
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e, ~1.6GHz
Memory: 1790MB RAM
Page File: 3639MB used, 625MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10

6 years old and low end it sounds like.
eMachines D620-5150 Specs - CNET

What's really causing it to chug is Vista. You don't have much processor power or ram and Vista is so poorly written it's unstable and is the shining example of BLOATWARE. It was a royal pain in the gazootenblatz to find drivers for hardware. It was so poorly written that a lot of aftermarket device makers didn't bother to write drivers for it. And the few brave souls that did had major support headaches.

Wipe the drive clean and install XP Home on it. XP performs surprisingly well in a low and slow system like yours.

That system uses the CPU to do all the video work and robs the main memory. That alone, for me anyway, would make me use it for a paper weight or a door prop.

Wipe the drive clean and install XP Home on it. XP performs surprisingly well in a low and slow system like yours.

That system uses the CPU to do all the video work and robs the main memory. That alone, for me anyway, would make me use it for a paper weight or a door prop.

I agree with Seti, You can install XP but since its no longer got ongoing security patches and updates download SP3 from Microsoft to ensure you have all the updates, A good antivirus such as Avast and the firewall built in will no longer work so something like Comodo and a good browser like Chrome or Firefox.

Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers from Official Microsoft Download Center

Thank you for downloading avast!

https://www.chrome.com

https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/new/

Free Firewall from Comodo | Award Winning Personal Firewall Software

Back
Top Bottom