Fitted new PSU: Now won't post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steppy333

Beta member
Hi,

I was attempting to fix a machine that was seemingly having power issues; it had been cutting out regularly, and then refused to boot until left for a little while after.

I got a new 400w PSU for £20... it was on the sly from the technical dept. of a large company, and I've used the PSUs before from them with no problems.

Swapped it over with no issues, all connectors fitted... its an AMD so left the P4 connector unplugged, everything else fine.

Booted perfectly afterwards, and ran well for a good few hours. Came to boot up about 4 hours later, and now it won't post. Fans are running from what I'm told, and lights are on, but no system beeps.

I'm going to try switching the PSU back, but any other comments/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve Colebourne

I had a similar problem when I replaced basically everything in my rig. Fans would come on, case lights, etc etc. Turns out my RAM somehow went bad, replaced it and it worked fine.

99% of the time when this happen's it is motherboard related. Just remove everything from the board and see if it will post/beep

anytime the bios dont beep it's mobo related and porlly not ram. if it was ram it'd give you a beep code.

Just an update guys, managed to sort it out.

When the PSU was switched, the new PSU had only 1 floppy power adapter, but a 2nd was needed for an audigy sound card. This was not powered, but left connected to the main board. As soon as I unplugged this, it booted fine.

Question: Any thoughts on why it booted fine initially? I'm sure if it hadn't, the first thing I would've thought of (indeed, it was the first thing I did when I opened it up this morning) would be to unplug the soundcard.

Cheers for your help anyway :)

wako
surprised no problems were cause by running the sound card without the power cable wen it booted the first time

makes me wonder sometimes tho
some radom things have happened
i mean even som of the topics here (such as this one) bring out some weird issues!

FlashDude said:
I have never ever heard of a sound card that needed a power cable. I am surprised it didn't fry the board.

When I said "sound card" it was in the loose sense of the word. Its an Audigy soundcard that has a front panel, with various dials and plugs on it... it was this front panel which needed powering and which I then disconnected the IDE cable from.

Thanks for all your comments/help guys, much appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom