First time Computer builder needs your input on his Build!, Your input will be Greatl

tkdruan

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I have never build a computer before. I am just started getting interested in computers, computer parts, builds, etc.

I am trying to keep the budget for the computer itself as low as possible without compromising performance.
I love playing FPS, RPGs, etc. I really wanna start playing games like Crysis, Far Cry 2, Borderlands, etc. I don't do too much video editing, etc, but my little brother does, and he may wanna get on this computer.

This is what I have.

Graphics Card: $200

EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

I went with this one because of lifetime warranty. Also, I am on the fence on whether or not I should get the regular 260, keep this superclocked, or get the SSC version. I don't know how much of a difference they will actually have when I play games. (any one know?) The regular 260 is $190, and the SSC is 220 I think.

RAM + CPU combo: $256

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

I chose this CPU because its appears to be a good $200ish quad core with high GHz's. Compared to the i7, it is just out of my price range. For a $200 quad core, I could probably get an E8500 or something like that, but I hear that in the future, quadcores will be more utilized, so I decided to go Quadcore. Also i believe the performance on the Phenom II x4 955 is better than the E8500.

I chose this ram because it is DDR3 and 1600MHz which is compatible with my motherboard for around 100. (and its a combo deal :))

Motherboard + PSU combo: $203
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Retail

I chose this "Mobo" because it got good reviews on Newegg, its an AM3, seems to be good for me? I don't know too much about motherboards...

I chose this PSU because its 500W which is required by my GTX 260. It also got decent reviews on Newegg (4 eggs)

Heatsink: $27
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler - Retail

I chose this heatsink because it was really cheap, and had good reviews on Newegg.
My friend says that he has some thermal compound Arctic silver? maybe? that he will let me use.

Harddrive: ?
I am just going to wait on a good deal on slickdeals or Newegg or something. I am shooting for 750Gb, but I'll buy whatever is a great deal

Case: $50
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

I don't know about dimensions but I think everything should fit in there. I read in the reviews that the GTX 260 is a tight fit but it should be ok.
One concern I have is I have 2 extra case fans I am going to buy, but I am looking at the pictures on newegg, and I don't know where there is space for fans. I see there are holes on the side panel near the CPU, and I'm assuming thats for CPU fan ventilation. I just don't see where else I would put a fan. (unless I'm understanding fans incorrectly) (don't you blow air out? so if there aren't any extra ventilation holes for extra fans, where do you put the fans?)

DVD burner: $20

LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM

I don't do alot of burning. I just bought the cheapest one I could find.

Fans: $6 with shipping

2 MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm Case Fan - Retail

It got good reviews on Newegg. I just don't know where to put it...

Total: $719 (including rebates deductions) (without harddrive)

Overclocking: Again, I am new to the computer scene, so I am naturally kind of scared of Overclocking. I will be doing some because I've see a guy on youtube do it and he just increased the multipler up to 18.5x and his x4 955 hit like 3.7Ghz easily. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p7HB9OMJSs) I will probably be shooting for 3.6, 3.7 Ghz if I feel confident enough to try. Knowing this, Do I need 2 more case fans? (the MASSCOOL ones) I have 1 that comes with the case already.

Any input will be GREATLY appreciated.
Again, (I'm a nooby!)

Thanks So Much!
-Andy

looks nice and cheap but some quality parts, sitting back im thinking wow cheap but i live in australia where everything costs more!! aside from that i would stick with the graphics card or go for the ssc dont get the regular as the discount isnt worth the performance loss, (not that its much) the CPU and motherboard look great, i'm not a big fan of overclocking, but thats me, the Power supply will survive but i would go bigger and better if you are going to overclock, and the fans should be ok, also the heatsink probably comes with heatsink compound but put a dab on the CPU as it always helps.

not a bad setup at all i can see where you can save around $100 but its not that expensive of a build

msi k9n2 750a mother board will support the am3 socket (phenom ii) it is around $100 and there is a packckage deal on compusa with that mother board and the phenom ii x4 for $200 its not the 955 i dont the exact model, believe its the next lowest model (3.0 ghz quad core 6mb cache) and the motherboard is also sli capable and also has hybrid sli (i guess it automaticly bridges the integrated video card with any pci e video card, correct me if im wrong)

little downfall to the mother board is it will only support ddr2 ram but will support 1066mhz

Can you cancel the order? The HD 5850 is the same price, supports DX11 and will walk all over the 275.

I just don't get all the rage about DX11. It will be just like the 9 > 10 transition. Games out there still support 9 (except for large mistakes like Halo 2 PC) and they will for some time to come. 11 won't be a terribly large hit until 2 or 3 years from now.

[/offtopic]

I have honestly come to greatly dislike AMD CPU's after my last two builds. When I took out the CPU for cleaning, I bent about 8 of the connector pins (Phenom II, Athlon X2) and it took a very long time to get the pins straight enough that they would fit back into the socket. It's truly one of the worst CPU sockets designs I have ever seen.

I love Intel though. And while their stock heatsinks may not cool as well and not be as high quality, they do not bend pins when you remove the heatsink.

Back
Top Bottom