First time building rig from scratch, need advisement.

Devils6258

Baseband Member
Okay, so I am somewhat familiar with the inside of a computer and how to change parts, but I have never actually made my own computer from scratch. I bought a custom build computer from a small business in 03 that I have been upgrading untill today. It has finally kicked the bucket on me.

I have changed the GPU, removed and put back the CPU (for no reason other than curiosity), changed the power supply, and when my dvd rom broke I stole one from one of my old clunker computers and used that. I've also moved around the fans to more optimal positions for air flow. I'm generally pretty tech savy, but I have never done anything like this before and I only have 500 bucks for a computer and I don't want to fail and be left without one. Based on the given information do you guys think I am capable of building my own computer?

I don't know where to start. I know computer parts basically fit together like a puzzle, but what do I do once I've connected everything? I don't know how to format a harddrive, or if that is even neccessary. What basic information do I need to know before diving into this? Are there any guides for begginer rig builders out there? Sorry if this information was right in front of my face and I missed it. Haha.

Note: I have observed the sticky for budget rig building, but I want to make sure I'm really getting my bang for my buck. I've seen many budget rig threads before, but I want to make sure I'm buying the best possible parts, specifically for gaming and general school stuff. If someone could direct me to a list of parts for the best possible rig in my budget range (500-550) it would be greatly appreciated.

Also I NEED microsoft office on my computer and that is expensive as hell. Any way to get arround this? I need a word proccessor. I'm also hoping to install windows vista, which is also expensive as hell. If I make a 500 dollar comp I won't have an OS to install on it, but I don't want to go lower than a 500 dollar rig. Suggestions?

Also I NEED microsoft office on my computer and that is expensive as hell. Any way to get arround this? I need a word proccessor. I'm also hoping to install windows vista, which is also expensive as hell. If I make a 500 dollar comp I won't have an OS to install on it, but I don't want to go lower than a 500 dollar rig. Suggestions?

Use Open Office it works just as good, if not better then Microsoft Word. Plus it's free :)
Well if you have a computer you can use to download Ubuntu and just use that (It is a very user friendly OS) and when you get enough money, you can buy Vista, or if you're satisfied with Ubuntu, you can use that :)

I totally agree with Open Office. and you should try Ubuntu and Kubuntu. i prefer Kubuntu when it comes to personalizing and appearance.

Back
Top Bottom