First PC build, long boot times, ram issue?

Tatune

Solid State Member
Just built my first PC.
R5 3600
RX 5600 XT
1tb intel m.2 drive
XPG GAMMIX D30 Desktop Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Black
Asrock B450M Pro4

My boot times are about 15 seconds pre "asrock" logo... Till then I get no input, but once the mobo logo is up it’s a less than 10 second boot, so windows is coming up nice and quick off that M.2 drive... I think it’s a bios setting of some sort, IDK. I changed ram speed/voltage in bios to 3200 and the 1.35 set automatically. I also have found out that my default bios is 4.30 and the most up to date is one newer which is 4.60. I don’t know that I need to update it, and would be nervous to do so. I ran two full passes of memtest86 and passed flawlessly (I know there is debate about running memtest86 for 86 days or whatever, people say one pass, people say 10, people say 24 hours, IDK I did two passes and felt confident.) Also ran an SSD bench and it was 1800-1950 so that is running well. When I booted initially I installed MOBO drivers and GPU drivers.

So two questions here.
  1. These ram sticks are 16-20-20, I’ve read some places that Ryzen doesn’t like such loose timings? Do I need a different set of ram? I know about QVL (not till after putting it all together). I need help knowing if I need to change ram sticks, if I do, I need to know 100% what sticks will fix this problem. If it’s not the ram sticks, then-> (Question below)
  2. Why do I have a 30 second boot on a brand new build with components that shouldn't take that long to boot?
It really seems like there is a ram issue, I’ve heard ryzen is picky, but I'm having problems finding concrete evidence of it. I need a smoking gun to justify replacing the ram before my replacement/refund date with newegg runs out. This build more than capped out my FunFund and if I need to upgrade my ram to make it work correctly I’ll do it, but I need to be able to justify it.

Thanks in advance, guys.

It's perfectly fine, and your timings are tighter than mine. Ryzen has a longer post than Intel but 30 seconds is still quick. Hell I think mine is longer than that I'll check and edit post.

Edit:
14 seconds to boot logo, 37.48 seconds to login screen. Mind you, I have fast boot turned off. My board has an ultra fast setting too but I like being able to hit the bios if I need to.

It's perfectly fine, and your timings are tighter than mine. Ryzen has a longer post than Intel but 30 seconds is still quick. Hell I think mine is longer than that I'll check and edit post.

Edit:
14 seconds to boot logo, 37.48 seconds to login screen. Mind you, I have fast boot turned off. My board has an ultra fast setting too but I like being able to hit the bios if I need to.
I feel like 14 seconds to mobo logo is too long...

Why would it take 14-15 seconds when I have a laptop that posts in maybe 5... All I did was put an ssd in it...

its a 3 year old acer aspire laptop, nothing special, i5...

Like I said, Ryzen post is longer than Intel. There are several reputable publications that mention this even, and my own rig as I mentioned takes just as long. The system is doing pre-post startup checks like older X79 boards used to do for Intel. The actual boot from post to Windows is short because it's past all that. On Ryzen the very first startup is even longer causing some people to think they might have bad hardware when in reality it's doing an initial scan and learning RAM before even posting. My X299 rig will post in 5 seconds with fast boot off, my Ryzen in 14 seconds. Honestly it's quick enough in combined boot to not really complain. 30 seconds is 30 seconds. Try to remember post and boot used to take upwards of 5 minutes to the point that people simply wouldn't shut their machine down or reboot for updates. If you want to try and speed it up see if your b450 board has a fast/ultra boot setting. According to the manual for my board ultra fast setting skips pre-post checks, USB initialization, and boots straight to Windows.

Back
Top Bottom