First gaming PC build

Hi! Thank you so much for your incredibly detailed reply! If I could just ask of you a few more questions, that'd be great! As for the Z87 motherboard with the upgraded processor, that sounds great! But I was just wondering, is there any specific Z87 that you'd recommend? I've got no idea what I'm looking for, so guidance from someone like you would be greatly appreciated. Similarly with the graphics card, the GTX770 looks great! But is the one I've put into my list a good one, or would you reccomend a different one?

One last thing, I didn't really understand this section... "eVGA card with a reference cooler. The Windforce cards cool quite well but the sheer weight causes lots of PCB sag which can damage a card long term."

What is an 'eVGA card witha a reference cooler'? I get the idea that its a kind of graphics card? Is it a 770 or different? And what's a PCB?

Thanks a lot! I'm really grateful! ally

I typically recommend ASRock motherboards, like this one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-Z87-...TF8&qid=1372201097&sr=8-3&keywords=asrock+z87

Your last couple of questions are practically answered already in my last post.
Reference cooler simply stands for the regular blower style cooling found on reference style cards. This is a reference style cooler, on an eVGA card.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeForc...8&qid=1372201193&sr=8-4&keywords=evga+gtx+770

I recommended the eVGA 770 with the reference cooler for the reason above. The heatsink on the Windforce card is very large and causes PCB sag. The PCB is the plastic board the chip and other electronics are on. In other words, the heatsinks weight on the Windforce causes the board on the video card to bend. This doesn't happen on reference cards like the eVGA card I linked. If the card is allowed to bend for long periods of time (few years) it can cause damage. Typically people who come on here put a machine together and leave it alone for years so that is why I only recommend reference cards. I talk about this here in this thread and I explain more about CPUs and why you should buy a quality PSU in this thread.

all you need to concentrate on for games is making sure you have windows 64bit as 32 bit has ram / cpu core limits and a decent graphic card like radeon dont use nvidia they are unreliable and suck, then just buy a base unit and maybe a SSD drive. As for getting the top CPU well that isnt important as for instance world of tanks only use 1 core on your cpu. graphix and internet speed are key for games you can get a top game machine that will last 4 years full speed for way less than £1000 if you not silly by buying the top soon to be out of date stuff
I seriously hope you're trolling with this post filled with wrong information.

Wow thanks a lot everyone! I'll definitely take a look at the z87 and eVGA! Seem like much better options than what I'd originally chosen

I typically recommend ASRock motherboards, like this one.
ASRock Z87 EXTREME3 Motherboard (Socket 1150, Z87 Express, DDR3, S-ATA 600, ATX, Haswell, Supports 4th Generation Intel Core Processors): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Your last couple of questions are practically answered already in my last post.
Reference cooler simply stands for the regular blower style cooling found on reference style cards. This is a reference style cooler, on an eVGA card.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeForc...8&qid=1372201193&sr=8-4&keywords=evga+gtx+770

I recommended the eVGA 770 with the reference cooler for the reason above. The heatsink on the Windforce card is very large and causes PCB sag. The PCB is the plastic board the chip and other electronics are on. In other words, the heatsinks weight on the Windforce causes the board on the video card to bend. This doesn't happen on reference cards like the eVGA card I linked. If the card is allowed to bend for long periods of time (few years) it can cause damage. Typically people who come on here put a machine together and leave it alone for years so that is why I only recommend reference cards. I talk about this here in this thread and I explain more about CPUs and why you should buy a quality PSU in this thread.

I seriously hope you're trolling with this post filled with wrong information.
1) i dont troll world of tanks only uses 1 of your 2,4,6,8 whatever cores
2) nvidia cards suck they always have bugs a year or so down the line or just pop radeon are bulletproof
3) you must be a milionaire to buy that crap your posting

oh i forgot also if you use a ssd drive for your operating system instead of a huge 3tb drive it will run a hell of alot faster with 64bit software damm you call your self a build guru lol do you know anything about software and how it works ?http://pp-mguire/

1) i dont troll world of tanks only uses 1 of your 2,4,6,8 whatever cores
2) nvidia cards suck they always have bugs a year or so down the line or just pop radeon are bulletproof
3) you must be a milionaire to buy that crap your posting
1 World of Tanks is free non AAA title, of course it won't use all the resources available as it is targeted towards all audiences with all types of PCs, and is a low budget developed game. Fact is, lots of AAA titles use 2-4 cores now, as I have taken a shot of Farcry 3 using 92% of a true hex core CPU (3960x)
2 You're very ignorant if you believe that. I have Nvidia cards from the 90s that still work. And actually if we are going that way, AMD's Radeon side has had several frame latency issues, not to mention their drivers have been terrible for YEARS. Don't believe me? I'm using one right now, as it's the best spare I had when I sold my PC a few months ago.
3 You need to go Google and do some research before posting obvious trolling flamebait.

oh i forgot also if you use a ssd drive for your operating system instead of a huge 3tb drive it will run a hell of alot faster with 64bit software damm you call your self a build guru lol do you know anything about software and how it works ?http://pp-mguire/
If you didn't notice, he has an SSD in his list of parts. If he didn't for that budget of rig, I would have told him to get one.
FYI, it doesn't take a 64bit OS to use multi-core CPUs, nor use an SSD. Seriously, go troll somewhere else.

You really know your stuff PP! Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me! I'm sure, with your help, my first build will certainly not be my last! Thanks a lot, hope to see you around the forums!

You really know your stuff PP! Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me! I'm sure, with your help, my first build will certainly not be my last! Thanks a lot, hope to see you around the forums!
I don't have 13k posts for posting nonsense, I can assure you of that. When you go to build and have any questions, go ahead and make a new thread in the "New Builds" sub-forum.

Also, I'm not sure if you mentioned this or not, but if you plan to save money and build I would suggest making a new thread if it's going to take you a few months. Prices and availability change. If you have the cash now, then by all means buy away.

all you need to concentrate on for games is making sure you have windows 64bit as 32 bit has ram / cpu core limits
Semi-true. While it's beneficial to have a 64-bit OS, a 32-bit OS limits you to 3.5GB RAM, which is still a reasonable capacity for your OS and gaming. The core limitation is completely untrue.

jubbers said:
nvidia cards suck they always have bugs a year or so down the line or just pop radeon are bulletproof
Full of bias and untrue. If you are sure this is true, provide a source or two for this information.

jubbers said:
you must be a milionaire to buy that crap your posting
I like how
a) The proposed parts would come to less than £1000 anyway, and
b) PP Mguire said things like "You don't need the H100i. Money wasted.", reducing the overall cost of the system.

oh i forgot also if you use a ssd drive for your operating system instead of a huge 3tb drive it will run a hell of alot faster
Aha! The first correct thing you've said, if for the wrong reasons...
jubbers said:
with 64bit software
... oh, never mind.

jubbers said:
damm you call your self a build guru lol do you know anything about software and how it works ?http://pp-mguire/
Yes, he does, as a cursory look at his post history will attest. As do I, considering I'm going into my third year of a BSc in Ethical Hacking and Network Security.

Back
Top Bottom