First Ever Build!

nehalem2050

Solid State Member
So I know what I want my computer to do, but I can't find one built for what I need. So hopefully you guys can help me out. I'm not looking to go absolutely crazy with this built, I just want it to be reliable and do what I want it to.

I want a computer/home theater system. HD Monitor and speakers I already have.

So what do I need for the rest of this build? (I'm new at this remember)
Id appreciate a list of suggestions for components to buy too.

Thanks everyone!!

What you would really need is a very good graphics card (GeForce 9500GT 1GB ) and a perty big hard drive... ram should be at least 2 gigs.

well whats a big hard drive? I dont play games or run lots of demanding programs. I'm not video editing, just watching tv, movies, playing music etc.

Original Poster:

- Whats your budget?
- Have you any preference to an AMD / Intel Build?
- You have anything else to use at all? Or do you want a list of everything, Like mouse / keyboard? Operating system?

well whats a big hard drive? I dont play games or run lots of demanding programs. I'm not video editing, just watching tv, movies, playing music etc.

To be honest you dont need a 'big hard drive' to do this. Answer the above questions, and we will see what we can do for you.

well movies take alot of space... if you were going to save the movies i would recommend getting a harddrive at least 300 gigs. thats just from experience... i had to upgrade cuz i was loosing alot of space

Well, ugh, here are my minnimums on what comps you should get based off of what you do and why:

2Ghz Processor or more: If you do video editing and watchin gmovies, your not going to need a super powerfull processor, but you still need some speed.

1.5gb or more: When a movie loads on your dvd rom, your ram is where it loads to before being played, the less ram, the longer the load and the slower it plays.

80Gb: most of todays movies take up aroiund 5gb of disk space, that is, if you want to rip your movies, your going to need a big hd.

I hope this helped.

Well I have a budget of about $500. If I have to spend a little more to really get a worthwhile system I will. I don't have a preference between AMD or Intel. I've had both in past systems and never had a problem with either. A list of compatible products would be much appreciated! I have mouse, keyboard, monitor, and speakers already. My top priority is getting my moneys worth out of the HD monitor from this build, so I need something with HDMI video support.

Back
Top Bottom