First Computer Build Question about pci-e slots and if i can fit crossfired video cards + ssd

Status
Not open for further replies.

caerthose529

Beta member
So I'm buying a bunch of parts to build a computer and there's something i can't quite figure out. It has to do with the number of slots on my motherboard. I want to be able to crossfire two video cards together (when i can afford the 2nd card) however i was also planning on purchasing a ssd that's pci-e based. The components i've chosen are.

Motherboard:

GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

PCI Express 2.0 x16 = 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1, PCIEX16_2) (Note 1)
1 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x8 (PCIEX8) (Note 2)
1 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x4 (PCIEX4)

(Note 1) For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; if you are installing two graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.
(Note 2) The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 slot. When PCIEX8 is populated with a PCI Express graphics card, the PCIEX16_1 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

PCI Express x1 = 2
PCI Slots = 1

Video Card = ASUS EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5 Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Interface = PCI Express 2.1 x16

(I want to be able to Crossfire these again, so i'll need two eventually)

Solid State Drive = OCZ RevoDrive X2 OCZSSDPX-1RVDX0240 PCI-E 240GB PCI-Express x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive

Form Factor = PCI-E
Interface Type = PCI-Express x4

Basically, can all these fit together? If i need to give more information like the case or anything i can, but i think all that's needed is the mobo/video cards/ssd? I dunno, i just want to make sure it'll all fit before i buy everything.

The PCI-e slots should not be an issue since the SSD drive would be in an x4 slot that is independent of the x16 slots. With the two slot video card you selected, make sure you take a close look at which other slots they will be covering, however. If you are not sure which slots are which, you can probably get the manual from the Gigabyte site to double check.

I noted that the OCZ SSD drive info states "Motherboard supporting boot over PCI-E is required". Have you confirmed that the Gigabyte mobo you selected does?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom