First Build

You could just delete that partition and then create a new partition for a different OS later on.

But you are going to lose all the data unless you do an upgrade which will keep all of your drivers and programs intact just upgrade what is necessary for the new OS. Then after you install the new OS you will need to do a disk cleanup or manually go in and delete the windows.old file to get rid of all the unneccesary files left over from your old OS. You can also keep as many partitions on your Hard drive as you have room for so you can dual boot, triple boot, or whatever you want. The only thing is though you will have to install all of your programs on each different OS because it is like having 2 different computers so you will not be able to access the programs you have installed on the vista partition from the windows 7 partition so make sure you make the partition big enough for whatever you want to run on it.

I only have the bare essentials on my windows 7 right now because I don't want to end up losing it all when the RC period is up. What I do also is save anything I need to use on both on a flash drive so that I can use it on either partition. that way you can use your vista partition as a "backup" for the data on the 7 partition. But if your drive fails its really not a "backup" though cuz it will all be lost anyways but atleast that way you can use your files on both partitions. You could also use an external HDD as well.

wow... uh.... lol.... all i want to be able to do is once the windows 7 RC is up be able to delete that, but keep my other files, and just put a new OS on... how would i do that (i dont want to dual boot or anything)

Oh so your using the RC as your main OS?

The only way your going to be able to do that is to buy 7 when it comes out and do an upgrade when you actually get 7. Im not sure if you will be able to "upgrade" back to vista because it is actually an older OS. The only thing I can think of to do that is to store all your files on a seperate hard drive or when the time comes to do a clean install of a different OS back up all your files onto a DVD's, CD's, or a Flash drive in order to save them.

well i mean, is using the RC as my main OS a bad idea? because otherwise i would have to buy vista 64 bit which is 100 dollars.... but i guess i wont have to partition my drive then

well you dont have to partition it if you are only going to run 7 but it is only a beta so it isn't a great idea to run it as your primary OS but I mean if you are just trying to buy some time till you have to buy an OS then it will do. It is just that in order to get rid of 7 and go back to vista you are most likely going to lose data and the programs you have installed but you can just reinstall and back up all the things you will lose. I was only suggesting partitioning your drive because I thought u were getting vista and then using windows 7 as a dual boot just to try it out.

So I mean its not a bad idea but if you are planning on buying an OS anyways you might as well get it now but if its not in your budget right now that the RC is more than stable enough now to run as a primary but like I said its only good for a year.

ok, thanks a lot man

ok, how exactly do i create a partition, and ONLY delete the OS off the partition and save my other data

also, can i move my OS from one system to another, or will i have to buy a complete separate one?

once the OS is installed you do the steps that I gave a few posts ago to create a partition and then whenever you are saving things you will have to make sure that you save the data and programs you want to that partition. Once you are ready to delete that partition you will have all the other data on the other one and that should save all your data.

You will be able to move the OS as long as the other OS has been deleted and is no longer in use. If you buy the system builders version I think you are only allowed to install it once unless you give microsoft a ring and tell them why you are using it again. like your hard drive failed and you need to do a clean install or you got a virus and had to reformat usually work the best but your not supposed to switch it to another system. But you can also just transfer your HDD to the new one which will sometimes work as well just make sure you get rid of the old drivers because sometimes they will conflict with each other

so... if i have a 1TB drive, what i should do is create like a.... 50 gig partition, and just store my OS on there?

then how do i have the system store data on everything else? im just really really new at this... sorry :\

thanks for the help btw poker

No problem BTW.... That is what we are here for...:D:D:D

when you click save or are saving a file it asks where you want to save it usually by default it is C:/programfiles/whateverprogramyoursavingname. All you have to do is change the location to whatever your partition is named. Im guessing it will be E:/ since your CD/DVD drive will be D:/.

You can create folders in it as you please so that it is easier to keep everything organized.

so a partition is KIND of like a seperate drive/folder, and the OS will be located there?

then you save everything else to the other drive, etc...

how much space would you suggest for just my OS on a partition (i will probably get windows vista home 64 bit)

is hard drive cache that important.... like a 16mb vs a 32mb.... because the spinpoint i just had sold out, and theres another one thats the exact same but a 16mb cache - does it matter that much?

thanks again bro =]

can anyone help me on that last post PLEASE?

Back
Top Bottom