First Build

Yes 500w is good for this build you're currently thinking, of but if lets say you want to go sli or crossfire in this case then you may want to get a larger power supply. I'd recommend about 700w should be sufficient and keep you safe as well as allow some wiggle room for future upgrades.

My first build happened to be a conglomerate of my old pc and new parts. It was a hideous thing but it worked and it helped me learn without accidentally sacrificing new, expensive parts.

ok.... im also a little confused about the first boot procedures (BIOS - booting off disk...)

ive seen a few videos where they change first boot procedure to boot off disk, then secondary to HDD.... but wouldnt that make it boot ALL the time off the cd in the drive????

also... how do i disable the onboard graphics and enable the card i put in, or is this even needed?

Yes 500w is good for this build you're currently thinking, of but if lets say you want to go sli or crossfire in this case then you may want to get a larger power supply. I'd recommend about 700w should be sufficient and keep you safe as well as allow some wiggle room for future upgrades.

My first build happened to be a conglomerate of my old pc and new parts. It was a hideous thing but it worked and it helped me learn without accidentally sacrificing new, expensive parts.

yeah, i probably wont be running SLI/CF on this first build....

and yeah, i might want to upgrade my dad's old computer w/ new dual core, better ram, etc.... but how would i get the old XP OS onto the new computer, or would i have to buy a brand new copy?

Most boards automatically know when there is a graphics card addition. You can always change the boot order back around to HDD first (which boots up the computer quicker so it doesn't have to check an empty CD drive). CD is set to boot first so you can install the OS.

About copying the old OS. If you buy a new HDD, the manufacturer's website most likely has a cloning tool that will allow you to copy all the contents including the OS over to the new drive.

Most boards automatically know when there is a graphics card addition. You can always change the boot order back around to HDD first (which boots up the computer quicker so it doesn't have to check an empty CD drive). CD is set to boot first so you can install the OS.

yeah, i get WHY the cd drive is set to boot first..... how would you get back into the BIOS (never been into the BIOS before >.<)

My board uses the DELETE key to enter BIOS. Press the designated key (sometimes it is F1 or F12)(will be noted in your motherboard's manual) to enter bios. It will be under "basic CMOS" in BIOS most likely as it is in mine. And from there you can change teh boot order around. All BIOS's are different but almost always have the same concepts.

those parts are coming from newegg.com

um.... so, i was kind of talking about RE-entering the BIOS once you have booted up, etc.... to go back and tweek for overclocking

Well you stated that your not going to be overclocking this CPU at all so if your looking to save a few bucks you can drop the dark knight CPU cooler since the stock cooler that comes with the CPU will be sufficient for stock settings. But if you think that you may try it out in the future you may as well get it now with the rest so that way when you get the itch to try it you dont have to order it and wait for it...:D:D

Well you stated that your not going to be overclocking this CPU at all so if your looking to save a few bucks you can drop the dark knight CPU cooler since the stock cooler that comes with the CPU will be sufficient for stock settings. But if you think that you may try it out in the future you may as well get it now with the rest so that way when you get the itch to try it you dont have to order it and wait for it...:D:D

yeah, i was thinking of possible overclocking it to like 3.1 or 3.2... plus once i get better at the whole computer thing, ill probably oc it later, so ill get it now....but thanks for the suggestion m8

-is windows 7 a stable OS, even in RC form????
-how exactly do you partition your hard drive so that the OS will only run off that part... and can you use the rest of the partition as storage space???
-if you have the first boot as the disk, and the second as the hard drive... if u had something in the drive wouldnt it ALWAYS boot off that (ie, game, cd, dvd, etc?)
-dvd burners CAN run cd's/dvd's, and not JUST burn them right....?

Back
Top Bottom