First build

noonmidnight

Beta member
Hey i just finished putting my first comp together, its a athlon 3700, with one gig ram, gforce vid card, and asus A8N motherboard. well it turns on and i could get into the bios but when i leave the bios i get to screen showing basically everything on my comp.......the problem im having is that i cant get pass that screen.......do i need some sort of boot disk to install windowns xp home edition, sorry if i sound like a moron but im new to this. any info would be great.

Do you have a Windows disk? You need one of those. The thing you are talking about is POST. I think it stands for Power On Self Test. Is there an error message there? If not you just need to get a windows disk and install windows.

i dont have a windows disk but for some reason its not reading it........it did yesterday but because i have a sata hard drive a friend told me it would not work with out a sata controller......now my comp is not reading any disk. what could be the problem.

noonmidnight said:
i dont have a windows disk but for some reason its not reading it........it did yesterday but because i have a sata hard drive a friend told me it would not work with out a sata controller......now my comp is not reading any disk. what could be the problem.

u need to install the sata drivers before installing windows. It should still boot from the windows disc, and then it asks u to press F3 (or something similar) if u want to install any 3rd party programs. Then just press the key and follow the instructions. I think that u have to install the sata drivers from a floppy disc.
Once the sata drivers are installed the hdd should be ready for windows.

see thats the problem i dont get that f3 option anymore....i see everything on the post screen except the f3 option, which i first got when i turned on the computer. now i dont have that any idea why that would be.

Back
Top Bottom