First Build Specs...Your Thoughts Please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DifferentialEquation

Solid State Member
Hi, I'm new here and new to building. I was in the market for a new computer and for some reason became intrigued with the prospects and building my own....Probably for a lot of the same reasons as many. But anyways, I've been doing a good deal of research into components and the actual procedure and believe that I have finally settled on what my build will include....So, I'm going to list it here for you all to take a look at, if you could that is....

Feel free to offer any advice and/or input that you would like.

ps...I'm trying to keep my budget at $1500.00 or under with shipping.

Case: XION Solaris XON-403
Newegg.com - XION Solaris XON-403 Black with Green LED Light Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CUL, TUV, FCC, and CB certification - Retail

Motherboard: EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Graphics: EVGA 512-P2-N773-AR GeForce 8600GTS 512MB
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P2-N773-AR GeForce 8600GTS 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

CD/DVD: ASUS 18X DVD±R DVD Burner
Newegg.com - ASUS Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 14X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache PATA DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM

Monitor: ViewEra V202D-B Black 20.1"
Newegg.com - ViewEra V202D-B Black 20.1" 5ms(GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor No Dead Pixel Guarantee 300 cd/m2 800:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

With this arrangement I was able to keep my price at $1465, including shipping....I'm not a heavy gammer, but a decent amount will be done, also a lot of movie/music and programming in visual studio.

Sorry for the length and thanks!

Thanks for the input. I like the motherboard recommendation. The EVGA is a bit overkill for my needs. Do you know how good the onboard sound is? I'm searching through reviews of the board right now, but haven't run into any informative information concerning the sound.

ALL higher-end motherboards today have good onboard sound. Unless your Mozart or an audiophile, the motherboard sound will blow you away. To a basic user, built in sound is excellent.

I'm pretty hard on sound. You can blame my father, he builds speakers. I wont say that I haven't been satisfied, but I haven't been impressed with integrated sound that I've had on prebuilt computers, but then again, how are motherboards in, let's say, Circuit City's line up compare to what you are purchasing when building your own?

Of course, I can always forgo the $70 bucks on the card and add if necessary.

Thanks again! I appreciate it!

LOL, Circuit City or any other store uses the cheapest things for more profit. There is no comparison. Since your a sound person, you could buy that card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom