Firefox 3 10x faster than IE7

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroon1

Banned
Cybernetnews compared the performance of seven browsers with the SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark test and found out that the latest builds of Firefox 3 are almost ten times faster than Internet Explorer 7:
I'm sure what most of you care the most about are the facts, and so I've compiled the results of the SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark test for each of the different browsers. All of the tests below were performed on the same Windows machine, and the Firefox 3 nightly builds definitely came out on top. Here are the results sorted from best to worst (each one is hyperlinked to the full stats):

1. Firefox 3 Nightly (PGO Optimized): 7263.8ms
2. Firefox 3 Nightly (02/25/2008 build): 8219.4ms
3. Opera 9.5.9807 Beta: 10824.0ms
4. Firefox 3 Beta 3: 16080.6ms
5. Safari 3.0.4 Beta: 18012.6ms
6. Firefox 2.0.0.12: 29376.4ms
7. Internet Explorer 7: 72375.0ms

It's important to know that every time you run the SunSpider Benchmark it conducts each test five times, and the result is the average of the five tests. So it is a rather thorough test, and definitely shows off the speed improvements that Firefox 3 is going to be bringing to the table.

Details here

Source
Firefox 3 10x faster than IE7

I can't wait for FF3 beta 4 :)

One benchmark does not a landslide make, but it is still nice to see good results. I am looking forward to the official final release of FF3. I haven't heard anything about a firm date, though.

I've heard a little about IE8, but not much.

Okay and how were the tests done? Was there any extensions added to Firefox 3? Like Fasterfox? If so than that would mean these results are wrong since that is not Firefox itself compared to IE7 itself.

Either way while they can get these results i can get totally different ones. Mine might turn up that IE7 is faster. Every test is different and no one test can stand above another. When it comes to speed it is all wrong. As you can never take into account any other factors such as PC Load, Net usage, how many people are accessing that server at that time. So many factors to take into account that these results do not look right to me.

Opera has beaten Firefox on every test i haev every done. Yet some how Firefox 3 beta out Opera 9.50?

I will probably stay with Firefox, even if it doesn't stack up to the hype. It's just good to see progress on the new stuff.

I will agree that Firefox 3 so far seems like a improvement. But from my personal tests i do not see that kind of results. :p

I personally like Opera 9.50 as it is a very good browser.

I've always been a Firefox user but there are times I use IE7 now and then. I do see some speed comparison between the two. There are times IE7 loads quicker than my Firefox here. And most of the times FF loads faster than IE7. Now this is done with cleared cache + cookies + history etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom