finally drank the jobsian kool aid

root

Site Team
Staff member
and got myself a jesus phone...

heartily unimpressed.

it might be because I've used a "smart phone" for a while... but really the iphone is not exactly lighting my fire...

aside from the fact that it has a slightly bigger screen, and has built in GPS, there is pretty much nothing that it can do that my old phone couldn't do either just as well or better. (3 years ago, and the phone that I've just stopped using was old then!)

my old phone had a touch screen.
I had a separate blue tooth GPS receiver for my old phone, so I had navigation software on that. (in fact I had navigation software on my old nokia nGage (v1) -which I could also load different games and applications on...

I mean don't get me wrong, it's nice and shiny... but so was m other phone when I got it, and so was my ngage before that.

the ability to have GPS software on a phone is nothing new, nor the ability to load applications,
in fact I'd go as far as to say that my old pone was better in this respect as I could put whatever I wanted on MY phone. without the need for apple to say OK, we'll let you run that, we approve of that application.

in order to run what I want, I'll have to jailbreak my iphone, and that voids the warranty.

I'll admit that I've only downloaded free apps so far, but really, I only downloaded free apps for my old windows mobile phone... and I don't know why but it just seems that there were more/better apps available for windows mobile than there are for the iphone. (probably because of the way that apple police applications).

(which also had the ability to take memory cards, have the battery changed etc)...

I think that the thing that bugs me most of all about the iphone is the sim card...
my old phone, if I was going away somewhere, say camping for a few days, I could take a spare phone, and when the battery on phone A ran out I could replace the battery with a backup battery, or I could take the sim card out and use a different pone or a few days.

with the iphone I can neither replace the battery, nor take out the sim card, (without the use of the special little tool that came with the phone, or a paper clip).

my old phone also had a full hardware qwerty keyboard that slid away under the screen... though I am at least getting used to the iphones on screen keyboard

Is there anyone else who agrees with me that the iphone is a bit crap, and that there are better, cheaper, more fully functioned "smart" phones available from all suppliers, (not just locked in to one or two).

it's just that my old phone (when I first got it) cost me £50 up front, and the contract was for 12 months at a cost of £25 a month.

the iphone was £90 upfront, with a 24 month £35 contract,
for something that's costing me twice as much, and tying me to a contract for twice as long, I would have expected something at least twice as good.

damned thing can't even multi task.

Well what I get annoyed of is people purchasing stuff knowing full well the capabilities yet still complain about it. Example: you whine about no multi tasking which is widely known. If you wanted to multi task why did you buy an iPhone? It doesn't make any sense to buy something that doesn't have features you want then complain about them. Again you knew the battery wasn't replaceable yet you complain about it.

As you said most of it can be taking care of by a jailbreak. Who cares about the warranty, you can always restore it to default if something happens. They have no way of knowing if you had jailbroke your phone or not after you restore it. ProSwitcher is a beautiful multi task app that is just like the Palm Pre's style. It works really well even on the slower 3G.

Now about the sim card is it really that big of a deal? I'd rather carry a paper clip or the little sim removal tool with me then have some pop out tray that adds thickness to my phone. And the comment about the keyboard, I'd hope you knew that it didn't come with one. And yet you still mention it. If you want a freaking keyboard go back to another phone it's just that simple. The iPhone's virtual keyboard is leagues above any qwerty I've ever used.

My advice is to give it some time and jailbreak it. It's just different than every other phone out there. It's very easy to use and has an app for just about everything. Comparing this phone to Windows Mobile is like comparing a Kia to a Benz. Yes they both have the same features but a Kia is still a Kia.

Got a Tmobile G1 here which whilst it is only available on t mobile you can pick them up sim/network free but at quite a price . the G1 still has a hardware keyboard which i find handy , ive started using the onscreen keyboard recently a bit but i still find the hardware keyboard better for writing anything of length i havent used a touch screen on screen keyboard that has left me fully satisfied in its usage yet and so until then ill stick with hardware keyboards thanks. Not really a huge fan of the i phone for various reasons , although one of the main reasons is as you mentioned regarding battery removal i have bought an additional spare for th G1 in case i am ever travelling where i may not have oppertunity to charge it . Another thing i dont like about the I phone is its innability to take memory cards leaving you fixed with the ammount of memory you can afford at the time of purchase

if your seriously not happy with it you may be able to break the contract

how long have you had the phone?
You may be able to return it depending on if you got it from carphone warehouse,phones 4 u or direct from 02 there may be a cooling off period under which you can cancel the contract for any reason within a certain number of days
And furthermore if you entered into the contract online or other the phone you are imediatly given 14 days cooling off period to cancel the contract and return the phone regardless of who you are dealing with

I did know about the fact that it couldn't multi task,
I of course knew that there was no keyboard

I've had the phone for a couple of days, so I really am still just getting used to it... -and I've no plans to return it... if anything I'd rather sell it on ebay and use the money else where.

with regards how the device functions, all ranting aside, you can look at a technical specification till the cows come home, but that doesn't really give you a clue as to how good it is.

honestly, I just need to give it more time, moving from a normal phone onto a smart phone was a big leap, and it did take a lot of time.

moving from a windows phone to an iphone is going to be like swapping from a PC to a mac.

in truth, the amount of ranting that I've heard people do about this phone, and go on about it, and the adverts and all... I just expected more...

the merc/kia comparison is true... but don't forget that I was talking about a five year old windows mobile phone. it's like comparing a merc from the 80's or 90's to a modern day cheap car.

Got the Storm. Love the 'clickable' touch screen. Hate any touchscreens that aren't. Love my Storm (though it is from Verizon and it's a Storm 1 so no WiFi). I'm over that though.

You can multi-task.....Jail break it and get a program called ProSwitcher...once you start using that you will never go back

Edit: Basically it will run multiple apps in memory which allow you to switch between them with out quitting one, starting another etc....

I did know about the fact that it couldn't multi task,
I of course knew that there was no keyboard

I've had the phone for a couple of days, so I really am still just getting used to it... -and I've no plans to return it... if anything I'd rather sell it on ebay and use the money else where.

with regards how the device functions, all ranting aside, you can look at a technical specification till the cows come home, but that doesn't really give you a clue as to how good it is.

honestly, I just need to give it more time, moving from a normal phone onto a smart phone was a big leap, and it did take a lot of time.

moving from a windows phone to an iphone is going to be like swapping from a PC to a mac.

in truth, the amount of ranting that I've heard people do about this phone, and go on about it, and the adverts and all... I just expected more...

the merc/kia comparison is true... but don't forget that I was talking about a five year old windows mobile phone. it's like comparing a merc from the 80's or 90's to a modern day cheap car.

I agree with your statement about "It's like moving from a PC to a Mac". The phone is definitely different and it's not nearly as tweak able by default as a Windows Mobile device. Just give it some time and I think you'll really enjoy it. You're forgetting you have the best screen money can buy, capacitive multi touch, iTunes & the app store etc.

In all honesty I probably wouldn't have an iPhone if I couldn't jaibreak it. After you jailbreak you can get virtually everything that the phone is lacking by default. It kind of sucks you have to do that though. Again if you're concerned about voiding your warranty all you have to do is restore the phone before you return it.

And like you & Muz said if you don't like it after playing around return it or re sell it and get something that has the features you need. I was concerned I'd miss certain features when moving from WM to the iPhone but after a few weeks I couldn't even see myself putting my sim back in a WM phone.

Got the Storm. Love the 'clickable' touch screen. Hate any touchscreens that aren't. Love my Storm (though it is from Verizon and it's a Storm 1 so no WiFi). I'm over that though.

One of my co workers got one of those Storms and I played around with it. I was probably just used to my phone but couldn't stand the touch interface on the storm. I can see where it might have it's advantages but I just couldn't get used to it.

The iphone is MASSIVELY overhyped. It looks pretty, it's marketed by apple, it was the first of its kind and as such people will flock towards it.

Underneath it's horrible - programming the thing is all done in antiquated objective C - everyone that wanted half a brain left by the time they were done coding anything in that left it behind decades ago. Makes no sense as far as I'm concerned. Sure there's nasty hacks around for it to get it to do things it wasn't originally intended to do, but that's what they are, nasty hacks. Why not get a phone that was built and designed to do all these things to start with?

This is why I'm much more of an android fan. It's a very well thought out, clever base, everything's Java based and very well written (programming it is a doddle, you just get each component as a different object and call basic methods on it to do what you want.) It's an open platform so there's a lot of FREE applications around for it and the number is growing all the time and people still have their brain left by the time they've finished.

Phones are a fashion accessory - people get them because they're the latest cool thing. Back in the day it was anything with a camera and colour snake, a few years back it was the Razr and now its the iphone. How many people that choose a phone honestly look first and go "ooh that's all java based and I can hack around with that in my free time, brilliant" and "well everyone else has an iphone but O-C is crap and I want to multitask, so I'll leave that one out."?

From a technical perspective there really is no debate - the android beats the iphone hands down.

Back
Top Bottom