Final answer AM2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyopicRequiem

Baseband Member
So I've heard of all the conroe stuff & what not but on the off chance you just want something weaker like AM2 is it worth converting too with in the next 3 months or is it just cheaper & better to go with a opteron 170 instead of an am2 4400?

well amd actually dropped the whole 2x1mb cache series so expect to see the 4400+ be out of tock very fast. Just wait it out for another few months, see if amd makes a move to figh conroe, if not buy a conroe.

rices for dual core will be cut in half when Conroe comes out. Other than that, 65nm AMD dual cores will be out in december so build an AM2 system with a cheap proc and then upgrade to an awsome dual core in december.

i'm going to wait for amd's quad core before i upgrade. it'll probably be like 9-12 months. i'm not even sweatin conroe. the pattern keeps replaying itself. intel hypes its new stuff and releases first, then amd comes out with a quality product that blows intel away. it will happen again very soon.

OMG! Quad SLi and Quad Core = Hardcore money!!! I'm stuck with my 3500+ for another 2 years!!! :(

Well according to all the 'smart' people here, Conroe is going to own AMD in every aspect, so don't even bother touching anything AMD ... ever again ;)

Mk97 said:
rices for dual core will be cut in half when Conroe comes out.

Not all of them. I think they phrased it "up to 50%", which means some or them will get 50% off, most of them probably less.

And for those waiting for quad cores, I'm pretty sure AMD isn't making any major changes to its architecture besides going to 65nm, and putting 4 cores on one chip. That being said, the reason that the conroe is better performing than anything AMD has out, or will have out in the immediate future, is because conroe uses a totally redesigned and more efficient core. So, if conroe core x2 beats amd core x2, its safe to say conroe core x4 would beat amd core x4.

Ya, I'm to lazy to say that about the price deductions ;)

As fot eh changes in AMD procs...

AMD will be moving K8 to 65nm... and adding minor changes, it's precived that these will be much better than COnroe and the like.

In 2007, AMD will release K8L chips, including the quad-core, unlike the move to 65nm, K8L is a vastly redone architecture.

"Vastly redone architecture"? No my friend, AMD has said itself; K8L is evolutionary, not revolutionary. The changes it brings won't be enough to close the performance gap that exists between the Conroe and A64.

Cedjunior, nice work, exactly what I was thinking. Since even K8L can't bring enough architecture changes to make up the performance, Intel's Dual Cores will still be better. Plus, Intel's Dual Cores come out in Q1 2007, while AMD's K8 (yes, K8) Quad Core doesn't come out until Q4 2007. K8L Quad Cores aren't avaliable until 2008.

And all that still gives Intel time to tweak Conroe to make it even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom