Filepath of Firefox Bookmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevenor

In Runtime
I would like to backup my bookmarks in Firefox before I reinstall my OS, can someone pls let me know where it's located. Thx

They are stored in a file called bookmarks.html
The file path is under your Firefox folder in Program Files...I'll have to run a search to tell you exactly where. But, just run a search :) hehe

On a side note, if all you want to do is save them, just open up Firefox and goto Bookmarks > Manage > File > Export

Then just import that same file you exported later on :)

its not in the program files folder, its in c:\documents adn settings\your username\

tehn its either local settings\mozilla or just \mozilla or somethign , dig around in there, im at work so I cant check its exact location now.

No, I'm afraid thats not correct. The default for XP is Program Files
bookmarks.JPG

mikesgroovin said:
On a side note, if all you want to do is save them, just open up Firefox and goto Bookmarks > Manage > File > Export

Then just import that same file you exported later on :)

Thx Mike. Find this way to be a better method than what you suggested in your 3rd post cos the so-called Bookmark found there isn't the actual Bookmark. Check it out yourself.

Tox1cThreat said:
its not in the program files folder, its in c:\documents adn settings\your username\

tehn its either local settings\mozilla or just \mozilla or somethign , dig around in there, im at work so I cant check its exact location now.

Can only find Favourites (of IE) in there but no Bookmarks. Probably you thought I wanted filepath of Favourites? ;) Thx anyway for your help buddy.

Sevenor said:
Thx Mike. Find this way to be a better method than what you suggested in your 3rd post cos the so-called Bookmark found there isn't the actual Bookmark. Check it out yourself.

When you export the bookmarks, they get compiled to the bookmark.html file that originally resides in the folder I listed above. It then gets saved to whatever path you designate. The reason why is because bookmarks are handled quite differently in FF than those of IE. When you export > import bookmarks in FF it will also place a Hot Search (Like a google add) and add the bookmark links you placed on the toolbar etc.... IE won't do that for you.

But strange thing is, Mike, the two Bookmark HTML files that I got
from using your two methods gave completely different results.

The 'Export' method gives me the correct result with all my bookmarked websites inside, whereas the contents of the Bookmark html file derived from the location C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Firefox\defaults\ profile\bookmark is very different all together. The content of which looks like the default content of FF's Bookmarks. Any thing to do with my partitioning my hard drive into
C: (Sytem drive) and D: (Data drive) drives? Though I doubt it.

Ahh, i see what you are asking now .... apologizes to you and to Tox1c. I thought that you were simply asking where the file from that you wanted to backup and was simply giving you a method to find and then export. The method I was describing was correct, but the they get compiled from the original bookmark.html file and then the individual bookmarks from your user's profile, which as Tox1c stated above is in the Application Data>Mozilla>FF>Profiles>(RandomString)> folder under Documents and Settings.

Sometimes I read into these questions too much... :)

But yea, the path you are looking for without actually exporting in the method I described above is:

Example: C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<randomstring>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom