Favourite Processor! Not again!

Ok; I know that this was the first Thread I posted - and the worst if I do say so myself! But I thought - its been a long time since those days back in 2003, but new Kalthorn is a changed person I think; likely mainly though this Forum and my personal growth within it.

So! I thought why not! We are all intelligent people in here and I think we can have a damn good discussion about the good and bad points of the many processors I have put up in the Poll!

I have compiled some information about the 5 different Processors that we will be discussing for now - based mainly around the high-power end of the market! Because they're the most interesting (although I really believe it will broaden in time!).

Intel said:
Targeting a specialized segment with specialized needs, Intel has developed the Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology Extreme Edition. Designed specifically for those who know their technology and crave high performance, this processor is available at 3.20 and 3.40 GHz with an advanced 800 MHz system bus and a whopping 2MB of L3 cache. Built-in Hyper-Threading Technology (HT Technology)† provides immediate value in today's computing environment by enabling the processor to simultaneously execute two software program threads. This lets you run two software applications in parallel without sacrificing performance.
Based on Intel NetBurst® microarchitecture and built on Intel's 0.13-micron technology, the Pentium 4 Processor with HT Technology Extreme Edition delivers reliable performance for gamers and power users who demand processing strength to handle today's most advanced applications.

Advanced Microprocessing Devices' Athlon 64 said:
More than two decades ago, the personal computer was a stunning innovation that equipped a large and growing audience with powerful new technology for the first time. AMD64 is the next step in the evolution of computing, extending the original PC architecture to a new level of computing performance and capability.
<LI>Leading-edge performance for today's software, with complete readiness for the coming wave of 64-bit computing <LI>Outpace the technology curve with a technically superior PC processor, packed with innovations such as HyperTransportâ„¢ technology and an integrated DDR memory controller <LI>Capitalize on innovative AMD64 technology to protect your IT investment and lower your overall IT costs
AMD Athlon said:
  • Superior performance through award-winning architecture and 400MHz front-side bus
  • The Ultimate Digital Media Experience in an x86 Platform
  • Tailored for Microsoft® Windows® XP
  • Featuring QuantiSpeedâ„¢ Architecture for Rapid Execution of Applications
  • The Power of a Reliable Partner
AMD Athlonâ„¢ XP Processor Overview
The AMD Athlonâ„¢ XP processor with QuantiSpeedâ„¢ architecture powers the next generation in computing platforms, delivering extra performance for cutting-edge applications and an extraordinary computing experience. The AMD Athlon XP processor is the latest member of the AMD Athlon family of processors designed to meet the computation-intensive requirements of cutting-edge software applications running on high-performance desktop systems.
AMD delivers tremendous performance by increasing the amount of work done per clock cycle and improving the operating frequency at the same time. The end result is a processor design that produces a high volume of work done per cycle and high operating frequencies—an optimum combination for compelling application performance.

Intel Pentium IV HT said:
Intel extends Hyper-Threading Technology† to a variety of desktop PCs, with the new Intel® Pentium® 4 processor, featuring an advanced 800 MHz system bus and speeds ranging from 2.40C to 3.40 and 3.40E[font=Arial,Helvetica]††[/font] GHz. Hyper-Threading Technology enables the processor to execute two threads (parts of a software program) in parallel - so your software can run more efficiently and you can multitask more effectively.

Based on Intel NetBurst® microarchitecture and built with Intel's 0.13-micron technology and next generation 90nm technology, the Pentium 4 processor delivers significant performance gains for use in personal computing, business solutions and all your processing needs.

I think it would be interesting to get some other lesser know Processors in here - but I could not remmember any! I don't care whether this goes into Server Processors either!

Well, yeah, it is undeniably the fastest and certainly the most robust of the four! And I didn't until I looked there see that it goes up to 3.4! (Which is really annoying because now there is a processor faster than mine, after only 2 months!).

The question really is whether pure hardcore undulterated power worth the lack of 64-bit futureproofing?

I have heard that in 2 years, all of Intels processors will be migrated to 64 bit. I think I saw it on their website...

By the way, does anyone know of the best processor to do Floating point opperations, If you have ever heard of SETI@Home, its a distributed computing project, and I want my computer to be more productive in that area. (I am not advertising!)

I say P4 HTEE , do i need to explain why i choose it . lol. If you go from standard 3.2 to EE then you will see a masive diffrence.

Back
Top Bottom