fastest torrent engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R1C0CH3T said:
would stopping uploads make your download go faster or slower?

depends, it can do either, but in most cases it can make it go slower

if you look at the original source code for the first bittorrent client written in python(see Bram Cohen) you will notice that its set up to respond best to clients which are readily available, have low latency, and are easily connected to, they get preference over slower connections and people with fewer parts of the torrent already downloaded

now, some of the clients have diverged or changed the code quite a bit as well, some have caused problems for torrent trackers and have been banned

if all is well, the download speed should slowly increase as the torrent gets downloaded, even with lots of leechers and a bad seed to leech ratio

horndude said:
azureus is a java mess

the least resource hungry torrent client I know of is ctorrent, but you wont be using that on windows, utorrent is probably the next best as far as resource usage goes

whenever I use utorrent to upload stuff to torrent, I can't browse the internet

this is a non issue with azureus, even though it's a resource hog

also, say if I'm downloading 4 things at once, if i pause 3 of them, will the 4th one go faster? Or do they all have independent speeds not based on others?

depends on your upload speed and how many in the swarms and to a degree your system itself, they do bog down with lots and lots of ports /streams open at once, there's really no set answer here, the program is set up to favor what I posted above, it should all else being equal always download faster just doing one or two at a time, but it isnt always the case---might have lots of distance and latency issues that screw things up or others throttling their uploads to low levels, it is designed to seek out strong connections and favor those first, it uses both speed and number of pieces available to calculate who to connect to, its basic game theory really, it rewards those that share and enforces it as well for the most part

thats what kills azureus, its fine till you have a couple hundred streams connected, then all the java overhead and the fact that java is mostly an interpreted language instead of compiled, as far as features and usability its great

EricB said:
whenever I use utorrent to upload stuff to torrent, I can't browse the internet

this is a non issue with azureus, even though it's a resource hog

set your upload speed at like 47-50 if your running roadrunner, that will give you about 2-5k for upload overhead for your browser, you will likely hardly ever max out roadrunner download wise anymore, its hard to peg it even at 5Mbps, Ive seen go almost twice that high for a few minutes at a time, theyve left the download limits pretty loose it seems lately

horndude said:
set your upload speed at like 47-50 if your running roadrunner, that will give you about 2-5k for upload overhead for your browser, you will likely hardly ever max out roadrunner download wise anymore, its hard to peg it even at 5Mbps, Ive seen go almost twice that high for a few minutes at a time, theyve left the download limits pretty loose it seems lately

what do you mean 47-50? I set my upload speed to 1024mb on azureus, which is the highest one, I think.

Can I set it a different way?

ya, in utorrent, set max upload speed to about 47 - 50k or just under what you can sustain max, leave a few k's for your browser--watch out for the distinction tween bytes and BITS too, depends on the client how its measured, 1 byte = 8 bits so 1Mbps = 1Mbps divided by 8 to get bytes per second

what's happening is your saturating your upload bandwidth, even though its just a browser which mostly downloads, its still sends out http://get requests and handshaking signals upstream as most web pages come in lots of pieces, when it gets bottlenecked, you will have issues using your browser

your gonna wanna do this with any of them, if the amount of upload can max your upload limit then browsing will suck, just the way it is

the original torrent client for example which was commandline only and written in python, it defaults to 20kbyte/s upload max, so 2 torrents and your ok, 3 and you max the 512kbit or about 50k-byte per second upload rate, so if you set it just a bit lower, you leave yourself some overhead so your browser will work

most of them allow you to set the number of max streams up and down globally, per torrent, and rates of up/down globally or per torrent or all of the above

horndude said:
ya, in utorrent, set max upload speed to about 47 - 50k or just under what you can sustain max, leave a few k's for your browser--watch out for the distinction tween bytes and BITS too, depends on the client how its measured, 1 byte = 8 bits so 1Mbps = 1Mbps divided by 8 to get bytes per second

what's happening is your saturating your upload bandwidth, even though its just a browser which mostly downloads, its still sends out http://get requests and handshaking signals upstream as most web pages come in lots of pieces, when it gets bottlenecked, you will have issues using your browser

your gonna wanna do this with any of them, if the amount of upload can max your upload limit then browsing will suck, just the way it is

the original torrent client for example which was commandline only and written in python, it defaults to 20kbyte/s upload max, so 2 torrents and your ok, 3 and you max the 512kbit or about 50k-byte per second upload rate, so if you set it just a bit lower, you leave yourself some overhead so your browser will work

most of them allow you to set the number of max streams up and down globally, per torrent, and rates of up/down globally or per torrent or all of the above

I'm going to try that out. thx

I set my upload limit to 22 with uTorrent for my best performance. i have also found that having my browser open kicks my DL speed up a few notches, as well.

In µTorrent, my upload is limited to 30k, my download to 50k. At night it is limited to 50k up, download unlimited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom