Fastest Single Core CPU?

Now try it again, you'll realize how **** it is lol.

Talk about it, call me dramatic but my work PC is a Core i3 with 2GB ram on Windows XP.. It's okay until you open up a few tabs in IE, have Citrix Management Console, 2x Active Directory, 2x IBM AS400 terminals, TinyTerm, Sable, Outlook, VNCServer all running plus occasionaly some rarer tools we have to use. It runs like a dog.

Well actually it runs like most normal PC's. But normal PC's feel painful to me compared to my home gaming rig.

Talk about it, call me dramatic but my work PC is a Core i3 with 2GB ram on Windows XP.. It's okay until you open up a few tabs in IE, have Citrix Management Console, 2x Active Directory, 2x IBM AS400 terminals, TinyTerm, Sable, Outlook, VNCServer all running plus occasionaly some rarer tools we have to use. It runs like a dog.

Well actually it runs like most normal PC's. But normal PC's feel painful to me compared to my home gaming rig.

Gaming rigs make great desktop PC's lol

Yea, and check the RAM usage. Bet it's capped and the HDD is slow as a dog too. I had an i3 530 with 4GB of RAM on XP with an SSD. It was actually quite great.

Oh, and IE is lol.

Yea, and check the RAM usage. Bet it's capped and the HDD is slow as a dog too. I had an i3 530 with 4GB of RAM on XP with an SSD. It was actually quite great.

Oh, and IE is lol.

We have the 'best' PC's in the building in the IT Dept. And rightly so. But best still amounts to i3 and 2GB RAM. So yeah I run out of RAM quite easy, but I do push the CPU hard, it's often over 50% due to everything that is open. But no we don't have anything capped or any disc space quotors.. only the normal office people have to suffer policies like these :p we exempt ourself from 99% of normal company windows policies :grin: the only ones we follow are the ones we have too, like company logo as wallpaper, company made screensaver etc.

I would love to use anything but IE and we are in the process of changing over but when you work for a big company, everything has to be checked and modified before it is distributed and allowed for use. Of course, we all have full admin rights in the IT Dept, so technically I could install chrome. But our senior engineer prefers us not too, just to cover himself, because if it did cause any problems he would be the one in trouble with IT manager and he'd be the one that would have to fix it.

We have the 'best' PC's in the building in the IT Dept. And rightly so. But best still amounts to i3 and 2GB RAM. So yeah I run out of RAM quite easy, but I do push the CPU hard, it's often over 50% due to everything that is open. But no we don't have anything capped or any disc space quotors.. only the normal office people have to suffer policies like these :p we exempt ourself from 99% of normal company windows policies :grin: the only ones we follow are the ones we have too, like company logo as wallpaper, company made screensaver etc.

I would love to use anything but IE and we are in the process of changing over but when you work for a big company, everything has to be checked and modified before it is distributed and allowed for use. Of course, we all have full admin rights in the IT Dept, so technically I could install chrome. But our senior engineer prefers us not too, just to cover himself, because if it did cause any problems he would be the one in trouble with IT manager and he'd be the one that would have to fix it.
Guys over at NCR basically do what they want at their work PC as long as it doesn't affect the work process or others in the building.

I did ask a very simple question for a serious problem yesterday. Bunch of smart guys in a room, all IT related, all paid fairly high (besides me), while we get on the discussion on the OS. There is one guy in the back trying to figure out how to change .lnk from Adobe opening as default to "unknown" so the actual program opens, and another guy was saying how the company spent a ton of money on new computers and laptops with Windows 7 x64. He then said "but when Cisco sent us our new IP phones we found out that we had to revert everything back because the software to run the phones is 32bit only". Some others squabbled over that statement saying it was stupid ect ect. So I piped up saying "Um, that doesn't make any sense at all." "this is a HUGE company, why not pay them and tell them to write a proprietary software for usage with your systems in 64bit?" "it only makes sense since it would be cheaper than tossing all the new equipment you just bought". They all kinda stood there with this look on their face:

HerpDerp.png

One of them then said, that's a really good question......

So I take back my statement saying "everybody there seems rather intelligent" because that is the smartest thing in my book. You paid for a full system overhaul, might as well tell them hey we need 64bit compatible software....

Hah, this. I have an i5 on my work desktop with 4GB RAM and that isn't nearly enough. My work laptop is about the same. Core i5 with 4GB RAM.

Thing is IT Departments don't make their own budget. They can't just spend what they want. If the big people say no your not having the money for that, then you ain't having it.

DHL group have an annual revenue of around $70Bn, but will they give us the money for a new bare bones basic gigabit switch (£30) to speed up our Win7 deployment ? nope.

Big companies make decisions that make no sense, you will find that out really quickly :)

Thing is IT Departments don't make their own budget. They can't just spend what they want. If the big people say no your not having the money for that, then you ain't having it.

DHL group have an annual revenue of around $70Bn, but will they give us the money for a new bare bones basic gigabit switch (£30) to speed up our Win7 deployment ? nope.

Big companies make decisions that make no sense, you will find that out really quickly :)
NCR is much bigger than DHL. All of their staff have i7 based computers including the front desk. They spent a TON of money upgrading everybody to Windows 7 x64 so the majority of people had more than 4GB of RAM to work with. It only makes sense for them to want a 64bit phone system compatible with the new machines they had upgraded to. Everybody in that room (3 managers at that) agreed with me. On Monday the hardware support staff is going to bring it up so nobody has to get rid of the new OS. With the amount of money Cisco was getting from NCR it should have been complementary at that.

Edit: DHL Anual Revenue for 2012 was more around 13billion Euro, not 70.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom