"Faster" version of Vista?

jdrum10j

Baseband Member
So I'm embarking on my first computer build in the next week and I'm wondering what OS I should use. The computer will be used for nothing but recording music.

The user wants Vista, so I was wondering which version of Vista would run fastest/smoothest/best. Is it Ultimate? Home Premium? Like I said, I don't need lots of features, I just want the "fastest".

Any ideas?

Personally, I am running vista 64 ultimate and I haven't had any hiccups. I was running XP 32 and I prefer the Vista that I have maybe because I am using all the power that I have on my computer (the 4gb of ram and 64bit processor) Just got to make sure you turn off those annoying administration pop ups.

Statistically I dont know.

Cool, cool.

I was leaning towards Ultimate, actually. But I didn't really have anything to back that up. :]

I also forgot to mention it's going to be 32-bit.

With all visual effects turned down/off each version will run about the same. Generally, Home premium is all people need.

Which visual effects would you suggest turning off? Just the Aero stuff or is there more?

And is it going to be a noticeable gain in performance?

So I'm embarking on my first computer build in the next week and I'm wondering what OS I should use. The computer will be used for nothing but recording music.

The user wants Vista, so I was wondering which version of Vista would run fastest/smoothest/best. Is it Ultimate? Home Premium? Like I said, I don't need lots of features, I just want the "fastest".

Any ideas?

If your recording music, most audio applications seem to work far better in XP. If your serious about building a computer dedicated for audio work, your going to disable about 80% of the features in windows so Home Basic would be completely adequate. If your real serious about setting up a computer as an audio workstation, I'm going to try to publish a guide in the next few weeks on how to do it.

EDIT: If your going to be using a 32 bit operating system, theirs no point at all in making the jump to Vista and I'd not recommend it for audio purposes. Check with your software vendor as well, as quite a few don't support vista.

I was thinking about XP actually.

I do know that the software/hardware is Vista-compatible, though he starts to lose items at Vista 64-bit.

Let me know when that guide is up!

I was thinking about XP actually.

I do know that the software/hardware is Vista-compatible, though he starts to lose items at Vista 64-bit.

Let me know when that guide is up!

Just curious, what software / hardware are you using?

His main interface he's building off of is the Tascam 1641 running on Sonar 8 Producer Edition.

I see that there's 64-bit support for the Tascam, but I've got conflicting reports about the compatibility.

Even on their site, they have the drivers on one page, but on the next it says "not compatible w/ 64 bit."

Back
Top Bottom