Farewell P3

lhuser

Golden Master
Well, today, I was pointed to whatch a Flash player movie, and the PC locked up. Upon reset, the BIOS said it had a bad checksum and reflashed itself from the other BIOS. So, I was returned tothe shaky BIOS. I popped up my flash BIOS and once all is done...nothing. The BIOSes are done together. Nothing can make a recovery.

Well, this board wasn't up to the job at best. It was poping me up random BSODs in the boot, and in Windows. Not only that, the RAM was different each time I reseted. I had 256MB in there. It either booted 256, most of the time, it was 192, a few times, it was 128, sometimes, it was 64 and a couple of times, a weird number...like 75005KB.

The BIOS couldn't handle firmware most of the time, the RAM Bank was probably defective, and the caps were wird looking. They look buldged on the edges, but in the center, they look fine. So now, I have to find myself, the G1's little bro, the GX115 without CPU, so I can put my 866 back in there.

I had problems as soon as it recieved the CPU, especially with the RAM, but with the Celeron, I had problems, but not as bad as now. (BSODs and a couple of RAM probs)

i sold a dell gx110 the other week twas a p3 1ghz
DEL-GX110-V.jpg

it was still a pretty able machine and considering it was over 6 years old it could still hold its own with win xp and win 2000

i was planning on painting the case with some metalic silver spray paint and putting a 120gb hd and dvd burner in it and replacing my dvd player/hi/fi and freeview box with it using it has a media center box but the finances let me down so i had to let it go

Yeah, our school still has some of those Dell Optiplex GX110's. They're slow but they get the work done.

Yeah, I think it's the GX110 I meant. It's the tower. The used shop has plenty of them...I hope! I'll ask them how much without the CPU and go with that.

Oh well, the GX110 will probably take it better. My Dell G1 has a PIII 650 in it. Runs very good!

My home computer, the one that my parents use, still has a Pentium III in it. I think the video card is a NVIDIA TNT2-Riva. :p It's so old...the hard drive is about 20GB.

My home computer, the one that my parents use, still has a Pentium III in it. I think the video card is a NVIDIA TNT2-Riva. :p It's so old...the hard drive is about 20GB.

Same with my parents. They got it late 1997. 25GB HD, 650MHZ PIII, 128(i think) MB Ram. £2000. They still use it now...

Hmm, I don't think P3s were released until 1999.

We used to have and use as home PC, a K6-III 500, 10GB HDD, 312MB RAM, and theo nboad shared crappy 8MB Trident GPU. Ran extremelly well in 98, wouldn't work in 95, even though the CPU was supposedly designed for it, and XP was...OMG, crap!

The compaq board I have is around the same thing as we have, exept I only had 2GB HDD ans 128MB RAM. The GPU used to be the same, but I got a PCI one. It's a K6-II 500 and works way much better than the old home PC.

It's in the trash now.

Yeah, our school still has some of those Dell Optiplex GX110's. They're slow but they get the work done.

our school has some old comps , duron 700mhz and athlon 1ghz but they still do ok for school use like office and internet

Back
Top Bottom