Fan replacement?

Deek1

Beta member
Just in the last few days my computer started crashing giving me a black screen until I fully powered it down. the problem was my video card fan was dead. and the card was over heating any time I started to play a game showing a rather ominous red light. good for me I know the fan can be replaced! But I have gotten rather lost in this strange world of video card names and parts, Not to add the stuff inside the computer is not my field of expertise. any help getting info on what fan I should get as a replacement would be helpful! I don't need any super-duper fan, just something that will work as good as the old one.

(* note I have removed the fan checked to see if I had any nasty dust monsters etc etc. after fully cleaning and checking to see if it moved freely. which it did. I hooked the sucker back up and it still didn't work)

The computer was custom built and given to me as a gift as such no papers came telling me what kind of guts it had in it... I have managed to come up with a few things which I will now spew the info out here.

After doing 'dxdiag' I found under Display

Device

Name: ATI Radenon HD 5700 series
Manufacturer: ATI technologies Inc.
Chip Type: ATI display adapter (0x68b8)
DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Approx. Total Memory: 2805mb
Current Display Mode: 1366 x 768 (32bit) (60hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

I think this is what I am looking for but I'm not sure.
As well I'm not sure if it matters or not but I have HIS software installed for my card.
Any pointers, advice, or maybe some one who sells cheap fans would be nice!
:)
Deek

Best thing to do here if you're not savvy about repairs is to take it to a small shop and see if they can replace the fan. It's not really all that complicated but it can get there quick. Some fan retainers also hold down the heat sink on the vid card. As soon as you remove the fan you're committed to cleaning off the heat sink and the GPU chip and putting fresh thermal paste on. Get a price of parts and labour and compare that to replacing the card. If you're close I'd replace the card. If fixing it is a cheaper route go that way.

Back
Top Bottom