Fan filters

CBJ023

Baseband Member
Ok so I have three basic questions about fan filters. First (This may sound stupid but I just wanted to know) should I put filters on my exhaust fans? I would think not because it would inhibit the air flow and trap dust inside the case but I thought maybe if dust floated down (Ok it was a really stupid question) My second question is should I get a very fine filter like this:
Amazon.com: Silverstone Tek 120mm Ultra Fine Fan Filter with Magnet Cooling FF123B (Black): Computers & Accessories

Or will it inhibit air flow too much. Lastly do the filters just mount in front of the fan before mounting to the case? And will the filter come with screws long enough to mount it thank you!

for the first question: as you properly have guessed, you don't need a filter for the exhaust fan.
second: i am not sure about that question. i would think it will decrees the airflow a little, but it will catch more dust then example this one
"http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Tek-FF122-Filter-Cooling/dp/B006RD0U54/ref=pd_sim_pc_5"

third: the screw you use to mount the fan is the same screw that holds the filter.
so just mount it all at the same time by holding the filter and fan together while you screw it all in place.

forth: i have seen some filters come without screws, but the screws you got with the fan should work just fine.

Ok thank you! I'll go with finer mesh to catch more dust I'll have two intake fans and three exhaust and I don't think I could fit filters on the two exhaust fans above my motherboard because of the big CPU cooler haha

If your going to be using a fine mesh like that, i would suggest you clean them once every week. They will more than likely get blocked so quick and reduce air flow a lot. Once clean no problem.

My friend has the NZXT that has the in-built fan filters and he refuses to use them, he said 'blowing out the case once a month is less hassle than them bloody filters'.

Ok, I have a question though, to clean them I'd have to open the case and take them out, (Not a big deal) my main concern is the plastic housing the screws go into, could taking them in and out every week wear that out and make the fans rattle or vibrate?

That is possible, i had never thought of that! When i was looking into them however the fought of having to take them out every time was enough to put me off.

If you didn't want to remove them every time, i presume some compressed air would do the trick, i often blow out my H100 radiator with it.

Let's start in the right place first.
Does your home have central air?
If so what type of filter is used?
Do you have a window open in the room the computer is in?
Is your computer sitting on the floor?
What type of floor is it?

Keep in mind the dust going in to your computer is the same dust going in your lungs...

Central air? Ok I'm going to guess that is normal AC, my house has normal AC flowing through the house. The computer will sit on a ledge built into my desk sitting about 2.5-3in off the carpet. There is a window, although I almost never open it. I will be using a fine mesh filter. One 120mm one for the bottom intake fan, and a 140mm one for the front fan. Also Jake- I would blow them out but both filters will sit inside my case so I worry it would end up blowing in through the cracks.

120mm: Amazon.com: Silverstone Tek 120mm Ultra Fine Fan Filter with Magnet Cooling FF123B (Black): Computers & Accessories

140mm: Amazon.com: SilverStone 140mm Fan Filter with Magnet for Case Fan/Power Supply Fan and Panel Air Vent FF141B (Black): Electronics

Back
Top Bottom