Fan adapter or other solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shibby

Baseband Member
So, here's the problem....I bought a DFI LP Ultra-D and slapped it into a CM Centurion 5 case. Case is great, except one thing. It's got a 120mm fan in the back, and it interferes with the onboard sound module on the mobo. I cut a wedge out of the fan support, and found that the module actually hit the fan blades :mad: The next step was to shave down the fan blades. Well, this was a mistake. I cut about 1/4" off each blade, and now it barely moves any air. Looking back, I can see this was a dumb move because a lot of the curvature of the fan blades is in the end.

So, I believe that a fan adapter would allow me to avoid the audio module. Smaller fan=less air, but what I have now is terrible. Generally, fan adapters are used to fit a bigger fan into a smaller vent, but I see no reason not to use one backwards (am I wrong?). So, I've seen 80-120mm adapters, but I'd like to keep the fan as big as possible. Has anyone seen 92-120mm fan adapters? If so, where (in Canada would be best, but not a necessity).

Alternatively, does anyone know of a better idea of how to solve this problem. I could get a PCI-based soundcard, but would like to avoid doing this, just for $$$ reasons.

Thanks,

Greg

You could try mounting the fan on the outside of the case an drilling a small, discrete hole to run the wires through. You might want to get a fan cover/grille though.

Interesting idea. I'd have to cut off the grill for the fan, as it protrudes outward from the case, but no biggie....

I'd cut off your grill with a dremel tool anyway as it is usually bad for airflow and creates alot of noise.

I'm assuming the fan is inside the case on the back......why cant you simply have put the fan on the outside instead and then it'll still move the same amount of air without interfering with anything.........may look a little uglier but it's all for the sake of cooling so it's worth it

Nubius said:
I'm assuming the fan is inside the case on the back......why cant you simply have put the fan on the outside instead and then it'll still move the same amount of air without interfering with anything.........may look a little uglier but it's all for the sake of cooling so it's worth it

Hahaha :D

Nubius, you must've skipped all of the replies. :p

ahh snap I skimmed over them but derrr, your first sentence said that, my mistake........I had horrible sleep last night and it's becoming quite apparent right now.....I thought he was just saying cut the grill for better airflow....that's what I do on my cases anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom