F250 or 2500

sniperviper21

Golden Master
Messages
5,452
Location
USA
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...eller_type=b&make=FORD&saveref=vdp&#266435022

what do you think of that?

and what would you get if you could choose between a Ford F250 or a Chevy 2500? Desiel ofcourse. 4x4, extra cab preferable.

Pros and cons of each?

i am a noob at trucks, so any info is helpfull.

any issues with certian years and there Trannys?

I am shopping for a new truck to get lol, i said screw the subaru... get alot more use out of a truck.

Plus in the snow belt, it would run better to, though i am not to thrilled about having to use Glow Plugs in cold weather, but thats what you gotta deal with.
 

sniperviper21

Golden Master
Messages
5,452
Location
USA
and also, what would be the best fuel efficent motor for this size of truck, deisel or not.


and i never thought about the engine heater.
 

superman22x

Golden Master
Messages
7,904
Deisel is very efficient, and much more powerful.

40% efficiency vs 30% of gas motors.
30% efficiency gas motors are available, most are around 10% though.

Diesels also make 1/10 of the pollution of gas motors.

If it is the 6.0 Ford made by navistar/international Harvestor, DO NOT GET IT! Ford has been trying to avoid warrenty repairs on those things forever. Any other diesel by Ford is good. Ford trucks themselves are better though. And Cheby, they got a Japanese motor sitting in their trucks. Yes, the Duramax is an Izuzu motor. Well, I guess it's more chevy than Izuzu, but it is party japanese. Not that it's bad(Izuzu has been making diesels forever, they know what they are doing), but I like my american trucks, all american.
So... that being said. Get a Cummins.

From what I hear, most of those diesel trucks get 18-20mpg.
 

63083

Fully Optimized
Messages
2,129
30% efficiency gas motors are available, most are around 10% though.

Diesels also make 1/10 of the pollution of gas motors.
This means you are saying that diesels are 90% efficient? I find that kind of hard to believe.
 

superman22x

Golden Master
Messages
7,904
This means you are saying that diesels are 90% efficient? I find that kind of hard to believe.
What, how do you get that out of it? You know more efficiency means more CO2 released, and more emissions right? Meaning, a high efficiency gas engine will release more CO2 then a low efficiency gas engine. But in the same effect, you can't compare diesel to gas. They are radically different.

Diesel just doesn't make the pollution gas does.
If diesel is 40% efficient, that just means 40% of energy used in the combustion is converted to power. The other 60% is lost in heat and whatnot.
 

sniperviper21

Golden Master
Messages
5,452
Location
USA
Thanks for the heads up on the 6L Super,

and id like to think that with a truck thats 20mpg in a big ass truck, is doing pretty good.
 

bullzi

Fully Optimized
Messages
3,285
Location
US
We experienced this first hand.

My dad bought a 2008 2500HD, hated it. Truck drove dog-legged down the road, was unaligned, numerous issues with buttons and knobs not working, etc, etc. We took this back to the dealership and they said "That's how it's supposed to be".

Needless to say, 3 weeks after purchasing the 2500, my dad returned it, took a $10k loss and purchased a V10 F250 Super Duty. Been happy ever since. That was 1 year and 4,000 miles ago.

I drove both trucks and I must say, the F250 in many respects is a better drive. The 2500's cruise control SUCKS. If you're on the highway, and you go up a hill ultimately loosing 1 MPH, that sucker will downshift and FLOOR it to catch back up. And it won't just stay down shifted, it will then shift back up and do this repeatedly. In KS with rolling hills, that's a BIG problem, especially when towing.

The F250 has more than enough power to get the job done.

All all respects, F250, hands down.
 

sniperviper21

Golden Master
Messages
5,452
Location
USA
lol thats funny how they said thats how its suppost to be.

but, would gas mileage be the same with a Cummings and a V10?
 
Top