SpringsteenFan

Beta member
Hi,

I have a Medion MD5950 laptop, which is a bit under 3 years old. Specs:
2.53GhZ P4 Mobile
768MB RAM
30GB HD
CD burner/DVD reader

It had come with XP Home and a bunch of pre-installed apps, and I later added a dualboot with SuSE 8.2. Over time, in the course of installing/uninstalling programs and other typical use, performance degraded, so I decided to flush everything and do a clean reinstall, using XP Pro SP2 (and later SuSE 10).

The laptop has three buttons in the case (not part of the keyboard). They're quick-launch buttons for 1) default e-mail, 2) default browser, and 3) user-defined. There are also three lights: 1) signifies that the laptop is running from power, 2) the battery is charging, and 3) e-mail notification.

The laptop originally came with EZButton, which allowed the user to define the action when the third case button is pressed (I use Trillian), and also EZMail, which activated the e-mail notification light.

After reinstalling the OS, I installed the above two programs. The third button and the e-mail notification light do not work. I've traced the problem to the following: These items only work properly when the user is an administrator. Under XP Home, this was not an issue. Under Pro, however, it is. For reasons of security, I have a separate user (non-administrator) account for normal use, only logging in as admin when necessary.

I've given my normal user full rights to the two directories containing the programs, but no luck.

I've found one workaround for EZTButton: After startup, if I launch the EZButton as administrator, the third button works. Is there a way to automatically start the program as administrator at boot, maybe with some sort of flag?

The same method does not, however, work for EZMail, maybe because it reads Administrator's default mail profile instead of the actual user.

The manufacturer isn't much help, and the latest version of the software was released sometime in 2003. I have not yet succeeded in finding out who the author is. Apparently, this system has been used in several brands of laptops, primarily in the European and Asian markets.

Does anyone have a possible workaround or alternate program that will make everything work?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom