External HD problem. Please Help!

marco10

Beta member
Hello all. New to this forum. I do hope some of you experienced computers can help. I've got a virus on one of my external USB hard drives. When I plug it into my computer, it does not show up on 'My Computer' anymore. When I check it in Device Manager under Disks, it shows up there. I have no access to it. How can I run a virus scan or clean it if it is not detected?

Well .. I'm assuming it's a virus because after copying some files on it from an already infected copmputer, it can not be detected anymore. Reformat is not an option as I have valuable data on it.

Well .. I'm assuming it's a virus because after copying some files on it from an already infected copmputer, it can not be detected anymore. Reformat is not an option as I have valuable data on it.

What Drive Letter does it usually show up as? when "My Computer" is open can you just go to the top and in the navigation bar just type the drive letter in...so something like

D:\

It was always showing up as G:. I tried what you said but it says there is no device connected. I've tried this on 3 different computers with no success. The drive is physically OK (spinning) So I know it is not physically dead. I have even run 3 different data recovery program and it works. The problem with the data recovery programs is that it recovers the files but it changes the file names to numbers and it sorts them randomly.
When I connect it thru the USB cable, windows makes the sound it usually makes when you connect a USB device but cannot access it.

Back
Top Bottom