External HD help / Hal.dll Help!!

Mizzery85

Beta member
Just booted my computer too see the

File is Missing or Corrupt <Windows Root>\System32\Hal.dll

First thing i thought was a bad hard drive. My Hard drive is a Western Digital WD800 which is a 80gb hard drive. I ran the western digital hard drive test and it passed. So the hard drive is fine. So i thought hey... why not hook up this hard drive to a external enclosure and just replace the hal.dll file with the one from this system. BUT! when i hooked this hard drive into the enclosure, my computer recognizes it but wont actually display the drive. I went into device manger and it shows it as a USB External Drive, but i cant see it in My Computer or in Disk Management in Admin Tools.

Also if i try and run bootcfg /rebuild or bootcfg /rebuild it comes back with the error

"Error: Failed to succesfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors.
Note: This operation must complete sucessfully in order for the /add or /rebuild commands to be utilized"

I ran chkdsk /r and it repaired multiple files but still get the error.

Any Suggestions?!

If you get an error regarding a missing or corrupt hal.dll file, it might simply be the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive that is misconfigured.

Here's what to do:

1. Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
2. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
3. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
4. Typically this will be #1
5. Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
6. Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
7. Take out the CD ROM and type exit

Back
Top Bottom