External Hard Drive Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwood06

Baseband Member
Recently i baught a 2.5" Laptop Hard Drive and I got a Nexstar external encloser via newegg.com

Links
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145135

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145092

and i belive i got a bad hard drive i went to the hitachi site and looked though there RMA section and they had a drive tester but it only works on internal drives not ones though the USB. So i was wondering if there was a tool that i could use to test thsi drive to make sure it is bad befor i go an ddo a RMA.

Some signs i have had is after transfering a game "Rf Online" It gives me a chkdisk message saying that i need to do this. Then after i tred trasfering my Gravity aka Raganrok Online Folder it started a sound like a kicking sound so im pretty sure its a bad drive but i want to make sure with some sorta tool.

So if anyone could reccomend a tool or tell me that thsi drive is bad i would greeatly appreicate it. Also if you could tell me how well your experiance s with RMA's thought new egg and Hitachi are that would also be greatly appricated!!

Thanks in advance,

I agree with apocalypse and you can also look up this

Hard Disk Diagnostic Utilities
IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test 4.05
IBM/Hitachi Feature Tool 1.99
MHDD 4.6
HDD Regenerator 1.51
to recover a bad hard drive

Ontrack Disk Manager 9.57
Disk Test/Format/Maintenance tool.

Norton Disk Doctor 2002
a tool to repair a damaged disk, or to diagnose your hard drive.

Norton Disk Editor 2002
a powerful disk editing, manual data recovery tool.

Active Kill Disk 1.1
Securely overwrites and destroys all data on physical drive.

HDAT2 4.02.05
main function is testing and repair (regenerates) bad sectors for devices

SmartUDM 2.00
Hard Disk Drive S.M.A.R.T. Viewer.

Victoria 3.33
a freeware program for low-level HDD diagnostics

well i sent it back to newegg for a RMA i dint want to buy something and have it ship sicne i could do with the same money just send it back so now im looking at 2.5" HD for my nexstar 3 encloser soo far im looking at a WD 100 gig Scorpio Drive. WD has been good to me on the past since i have had one of there drives for the last 2 years working flawlessly. So ill look at them and maybe look at one of these other hitachi hds.

yea I wouldnt get a hitachi if you paid me.. (well maybe then) but therye by no means great. WD is a MCUH beter decision..

As far as RMA's Newegg is pretty decent with them. Ive never had problems.

Tox1cThreat said:
yea I wouldnt get a hitachi if you paid me.. (well maybe then) but therye by no means great. WD is a MCUH beter decision..

As far as RMA's Newegg is pretty decent with them. Ive never had problems.

You won't get a WD 2.5" drive (not mnaufactured). Hitachi is a huge manufacturer of 2.5" laptop hard drives (IBM TravelStar) and their drives are very reliable!! RMA that drive: However: 1) make sure that you have USB 2.0 running( Service pack 2) and that you have not attached the 2.0 laptop drive into a 1.0 port. 2) Go to Control panel>administrative Tools>disk management. Does the 2.5" drive show up as "unallocated"? If so, right click on the drivedisk management box for the unallocated drive and allocate it and it will be formatted, recognized in "My Computer" and useable!!

i di dhtat i know how to froamt drives fdisk etc.. it worked i was using it on my laptop whic his a acer 5672 laptop which has alot of the newer technologys.

I think it was just a bad drive. I see the hitach 7k100 is really good though so ill check that out also!

But lastly i believe it to just be bad cause ti was making al sorts of noises even sounded liek the read head was kicking inside of the encloser. which isnt good ; ;

Active Kill Disk 1.1
Securely overwrites and destroys all data on physical drive.
^
I doubt that works the way its intended to since you actually need a guasser to destroy data completely do to resonance patterns....

Also, you forgot erd commander.....I tried all those...and erd commander was the only one that actually worked...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom