expanding wireless network

EricM

Daemon Poster
i am trying to expand my wireless network since the signal on one side of my house is not so good. i currently have a linksys wrt54g wireless router which is in my basement and it is not possible to move it. i have tried a linksys range exteneder wet54g but returned it since it does not support wpa2 encryption. i tried it without security and it did a really good job of increasing the signal strengh but it stopped working after a day. so now my quesiton is what would be the next best solution. i have a few ethernet connections around the house so i was thinking of setting up a wireless access point or even another wireless router, but how would i go about setting them up with my existing network?

I would recommend setting up an access point. This way you can still have the wpa2 security, and increase your range. You might want to look at the WAP2000, or WAP200. These both have wpa2 encryption, and PoE.

PoE is Power over Ethernet. This means that you don't have to have a power outlet near where you are going to put the access point. You can just run an Ethernet cable to the access point and you can transfer data and power through it.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom