Excel!

Apple

Solid State Member
I don't know about any of you guys... but i love excel!
I overused it when i was in school for business/IT and discovered so much about the formulas which could be used to make life easy as well as macros but now i have hit a brick wall :/
I don't have much free time at the mo to mess around figuring out the macro language all by myself so here i am :)
anyway i just need a macro to take a value in a cell and do a find on a separate sheet in that workbook and paste the row on the 1st sheet...then another 'search' type function to look in a seperate workbook (which is password protected but can be open at the same time) and paste the row into my workbook.
I know this sounds really vague but any help would be appreciated - ill be happy to put up some more info if it comes to it.

Thanks for any replies :)

Hey,

Whilst I'm happy to offer advice and guidance for free I'm not sure i'm willing to go and write a full on macro script to do this for you.

What I will say is that Excel VBA has a very handy learning tool in which you can record a macro, then go into the VBA editor and see the code that it generates and you can learn a lot this way so give it a try.

If you are looking for this to be done completely for you please take a look here:
I can automate Excel reports, presentations or other repetitive tasks Hourlie - PeoplePerHour.com

What I will say is that Excel VBA has a very handy learning tool in which you can record a macro, then go into the VBA editor and see the code that it generates and you can learn a lot this way so give it a try.

Thanks for the reply, I m aware of this feature & it has taught me a whole lot in he past but in the code when i use copy and paste it displays the cell i selected i.e. "C4" rather than "which ever cell the 'find' function lands on"

I'll keep messing around with the VBA anyway and see what happens :)

The macro should get you the code for the search function and then use activecell.copy

Hi guys, had some free time today, been twisting over this again haha
thought I'd try clear this up a bit
so there are two spreadsheets
for example
one contains the names of computers, their 'specification' (a number/letters and numbers) and if all the 'tasks' have been completed.

the second workbook also has the first two columns
on the second sheet of this workbook has the 1st two columns as well as what tasks need to be done according to what the specifications in the columns after that i.e. speed test A, speed test B, Graphics check
the third sheet has headings, you can select a computer from a list and the specification and tasks will be displayed in the row i.e
Product Spec Speed test Graphics test
Apple i-crap Test B Test 1

from here i would like to create a button which would find tasks which match in the 2nd sheet, therefore identify the product(s) in sheet 1 and find that product in the 1st workbook, copy the row(s)* from this workbook into the 2nd workbook below the manually entered information on sheet 3 of workbook 2 using a maximum of 10 matches and to skip any that have been completed already

*I've had a mess around on the macros and cant seem to get anything to copy & paste a row without defining a row, if it could identify the product then copy & paste a cell from that row (similar to VLOOKUP) it would be great

All I ask now is this - Is it possible? or should I give up haha

Back
Top Bottom