EVO 4G problem : stuck on "obtaining ip address!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbeJr.

Beta member
Hi,

When I try to connect my EVO 4G to my WAP it gets stuck on "obtaining ip address".

I tried restarting the WAP and even forgetting it in my wifi list then reconnecting, these techniques work but only for little while then it goes back to trying to obtain an ip address.

I have 2 wireless routers in my house, one NETGEAR being used as a router the other BELKIN strictly as a WAP (so all routing functions are disabled (like DHCP)). Both an different channels of course.

My EVO has no problems connecting to the NETGEAR router but it cannot connect to the BELKIN WAP.

All devices in my house connect to my WAP just fine (like my laptops, blu ray player, and ipod) except my EVO and my brothers EVO. Our EVOs are updated to the lastest firmware version.

I have been doing research and found out ALOT of people are experiencing the same problem with their EVOs but I haven't found a fix.

Here are my routers:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Netgear-WNR2000-Wireless-N-Router/10928683

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-N150-Enhanced-Wireless-Router/16451551

​thanks!

Never mind, I got a fix!!

I downloaded a program called "Wifi Static" by farproc from the android market. I put in all my settings (desired static ip address, gateway, subnet mask) and which access points (WiFi) I will apply these settings too. Now when I connect to either of my routers my phone will automatically assign itself the static ip address.

When you connect to a wireless access point the program will flash a message on the bottom of the screen telling you that you have been assigned a static ip address or you have been assigned an ip address with DHCP depending on how you set it up for that access point.

So now my EVO does not have to worry about "obtaining an ip address" from my router.

Your Welcome:smile:

Oh and just for kicks, I have an app called WiFi Rabbit, its a widget I use to quickly switch between access points. The rabbit makes different facial expressions depending on the strength of the signal. Simple and useful.

For future reference, I'd break out WireShark and run that on a laptop/pc connected to the belkin. Filter for DHCP requests, and watch what's happening when your evo tries to get an IP address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom