Ethernet routing question

ikonix360

Daemon Poster
I've got a cable modem in the house and I run a 75' ethernet cable outside to my 12' X 12' building where I have an ethernet switch.

My dad has a two bay shop (his shop is longest north to south) on the opposite side of my 12' X 12' building (my building was built between the shop and house) and I want to put a 24' X 12' building on the north east side of his shop.

Can I run an ethernet cable to the shop from the switch, add a second switch in the shop then run a cable from there to my new building and use a third switch?

Or is there a better way to do it?

Two things.

TV in the house uses Wi-Fi
Computer that will be in the house uses ethernet.

You could do that, there's nothing stopping you as long as the runs are under ~300 feet between each switch.
Make sure what ever cable you are using is rated for the conditions... Exposed above ground, make sure it's UV resistant... If below ground, make sure it's rated for direct burial, or ran inside conduit for longevity purposes.

Doing it ghetto would be fine, but if you want to do it proper I'd have actual good routing. Of course this isn't very cheap.

I'm about to be in the same boat as you, except it's looking like it'll be way easier for us as it'll be one shop and a mobile home. The current plan is to have my rack in the shop with fiber input coming direct into the rack. I plan to run dual 10Gb fiber lines in conduit buried to the mobile home connected to a switch centrally in the "utility room" (laundry room lol). From there have all the house runs and AP runs come out to make it cleaner in wall.

For your situation I'd run a cable to a high throughput and switching capacity switch (L2) then run cable through conduit to each separate location. Of course again repeating on the cheap with cheap switches will work. But if I was putting in the work I'd want a one and done.

Yes, you can run an ethernet cable from your switch to your dad's shop and add a second switch there. Then you can run another ethernet cable from the second switch to your new building and add a third switch there. This will create a wired network connection between your house, your dad's shop, and the new building.
An alternative to this would be to use a wireless solution, such as a wireless access point (WAP) or a wireless mesh network. This would allow you to connect devices wirelessly, eliminating the need for running cables. However, wired connections generally provide better speed and reliability than wireless connections.
It is also important to note that you should use CAT5e or CAT6 ethernet cable for running long distances to ensure good performance, and also make sure to use good quality & shielded cable for outside runs.
Also, if you plan to use the TV in the house over Wi-Fi, you should make sure that the wireless network is strong and stable enough to support streaming video, otherwise you may experience buffering or other problems.

A laptop with integrated VRAM memory and a powerful CPU, and excellent dedicated GPUs is enough to run Sims 4 games smoothly. After using every possible means we picked laptops having top-notch features for playing Sims 4.

Back
Top Bottom