Ethernet port no longer working

adsada

Beta member
Hi, I built my computer a few months back and recently the ethernet port suddenly stopped working. The ethernet cable I was using still works fine, so it is defiantly the port. I can't figure out whats wrong, could it be software related or is it a fault with the actual port.

I'm running Windows 7, any help appreciated thanks

You could try updating the driver or even uninstall/reinstall the driver you have. When you view the ethernet device in Device Manager does it show a yellow ! indicating there is a problem?

It is possible that the ethernet port built-in to your motherboard failed. PCI NICs or USB NICs are pretty inexpensive and easily installed.

You could try updating the driver or even uninstall/reinstall the driver you have. When you view the ethernet device in Device Manager does it show a yellow ! indicating there is a problem?

It is possible that the ethernet port built-in to your motherboard failed. PCI NICs or USB NICs are pretty inexpensive and easily installed.

I had a look for it in the Device Manager but can see it listed, what column would it be under?

Also when starting up the computer it comes up with "Realtek PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Boot Agent" I've had a look around the bit it tells you to configure but can't figure it out

thanks

In my experience these ports are problematic, I've rarely owned a board where they haven't failed after a year of use. The best test you can do is just to buy a PCI or PCIe NIC and put it in your system. If it works on the new add on card and not the onboard one, then keep using the add-in card.

This problem is even more prevalent with nVidia NICs for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom