Ethernet Crossover Network Bridge Win 7 to Win XP Fail

GalaxyBounce

Solid State Member
I'll try and give as much info as possible to reduce the amount of unnecessary questions and wasted time. I am extremely frustrated and at the point of pulling out my hair.

I used to have my windows XP Home Service Pack 3 desktop connected to my Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 7 via a crossover ethernet cable. This is how I accessed the internet on my desktop. Setting this up was no problem.

Recently, I formatted and reinstalled Windows XP on the desktop (hadn't been done in a few years, clogged, slow, needed to be done). Since then, I've tried to do the same connection I had before with a crossover ethernet cable from my laptop to my desktop. No luck.

No settings on my laptop have changed since the format & reinstall of windows XP on my desktop.

I have checked all the settings on both my laptop and desktop, including file sharing, windows firewall (on, off, exceptions allowed), file folder sharing, network discovery, etc. All except for firewall are set to on. Firewall is set to allow exceptions, although I tried playing around with it off as well. I tried deleting and recreating the network bridge between the LAN and Wireless network multiple times to no avail.
I've tried multiple different IP addresses and default gateways, nothing works.
Before you jump to any conclusions, I used this as my guide: How to Bridge an Internet Connection: 10 Steps (with Pictures)

My laptop has internet and works perfectly fine.

My desktop, in network connections, has one LAN or High-Speed Internet connection labeled 1394 Connection. File and printer sharing is turned on, and I manually put in the ICP/TCP settings here but no luck either. Something interesting is no matter what I do, under 1394 connection status support tab, the address type, IP address, subnet mask and default gateway are all blank. Clicking "repair" immediately yields a message "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed."

At this point I am guessing some driver needs to be updated or something like that? It is important to note that I have not installed ANYTHING on my desktop since reinstalling windows. It is not running any anti virus software. I have not been connected to the internet for a single second since reinstalling windows XP.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Sounds like you don't have the driver installed for your network port on your desktop. There should be a "local area connection" icon in the network area, 1394 is firewire.

Is the network port onboard on the motherboard or are you using a lan card?

Sounds like you don't have the driver installed for your network port on your desktop. There should be a "local area connection" icon in the network area, 1394 is firewire.

Is the network port onboard on the motherboard or are you using a lan card?

Ahhh. I'm not exactly sure? I'm guessing I am not using a lan card. My laptop is completely stock ( no upgrades ) as well as my desktop, aside from another RAM stick upgrade a few years ago.

My desktop model is HP pavilion D4100Y and laptop is Toshiba Satelite C650D if that helps at all?

Edit:
After looking at my device manager, the Ethernet Controller, SM Bus Controller, Video Controller (VGA Compatible) & two Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus drivers are all NOT installed. How do I find out exactly which drivers I need and where can I get them?

I feel pretty stupid....
Thank you a ton though soul!

Last edited:
Question I have to ask, is why are you connecting the two computers with a xover cable?

Why not use a switch or a laplink cable?

The other thing is, if you reloaded XP, did you then connect to the internet and do a windows update? NO? (that could be the bigest part of the problem)

I reload OS all the time, as I refub computers, and the first thing I do after the windows install is the update. Have never had any problems.

Also, as soulphire stated, 1394 is the connection for firewire. Under the network connections, you should see a connection type for wired lan, wireless and the 1394.

You state that you have not loaded any thing since the install of the OS, connect to the net and do a widows update, also be sure that you load .net 4 for microsoft.

Why .net? Alot of software and programs as well as some web sites are using .net develement and you will have problems trying to access them without .net on you computer, Win7 & 8 both have a bit of .net inbeded in them.

Back
Top Bottom