Ethernet connection

bluenose1940

In Runtime
I am currently decorating a couple of rooms and so am taking the opportunity of drilling through the wall to run an ethernet cable from the router in the lounge to my pc in the office/bedroom.

I am looking particularly for some thin flat cable about 10 meters long, similar to a telephone extension cable that I bought for my mother, this ran under the carpet and could not be seen and did not cause a ridge in the carpet either.

My question is, are there any problems with connections of that length (10m) i.e. is there any loss of signal and, I have noticed that the adverts refer to RJ45 Cat 5e and Cat 6, is Cat 6 merely an updated version of 5e?

Does any particular manufacturers cable come recommended?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
I did reply to this query but it seems to have got lost in the mists of Computer forums . org or it was deleted for some reason. Anyway what I said was:-

Google flat ethernet cable. Cat 5 cable should be good up to 100 meters.

I don't think a flat cable would technically meet cat5 or cat6 standards but it probably wouldn't matter at that length.

cat 6 is a simply a cable that was better manufactured to withstand electrical interference. Again, at your distance, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
At 10m lengths, any flat cat5e ethernet cable you find will do (I really can't see you'll need cat6 for that, even if you really do need gigabit.) Flat cables can definitely meet cat5e spec - as long as the individual pairs are twisted then you're fine (and the pairs are generally small enough that you can easily twist each one in a flat cable.)

what he said.

yes, the twisted pair thing does matter for long runs, you won't find a flat cable in 100m lengths... but for the 10m you are talking about. (assuming there is not much interference) you're probably going to be fine.

for what it is worth, I once needed to have a cabled run that went around my flat whilst I was at university, but rather than going around the room I got some 4 core telephone cable, put an RJ45 on each end (where only 4 out of 8 connectors are using in CAT5) and hung that out a window and in through a different one (because it was thin enough that the window could still close.)

my method for putting the RJ45 on both ends (as I didn't have a cable crimper) was to cut a 2m patch cable in half and just twist the connectors together, and use sellotape to insulate it and stop it falling apart.

the cat standards are pretty good at rejecting errors...
(it worked for years)

Cat 6 will handle 10 gigabit network only up to 164 feet including patch cables. After that distance, its ultimate speed is the same as cat 5e, i.e. 1 Gigabit.
If you are running it for less than 164 feet, the cat 6 will allow the full 10 gigabit network traffic.

Back
Top Bottom