Ethernet cables

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
The only way I can connect my 360 to the internet is by using the WiFi on my laptop by bridging. I was wondering what kind of ethernet cable is best to connect the 360 to my laptop. Crossover or an regular one?

I don't want to buy the wireless adapter made for the 360, and my router is in a room right below mine.

Thank You.

Can someone clarify when you need standard and when you need crossover? Networking aint my specialty.

You can use a standard CAT5 Ethernet cable to connect your 360 to your laptop.

Will I go the same speed if I were to buy an crossover cable?

From what I have read, crossover ethernet cables are for when you connect consoles to consoles, consoles to PC, or PC to PC, just not sure if the performance and speed would be the same. People tell me I should get a crossover instead of just an standard one when I plan to bridge my console to my PC.

Can someone clarify when you need standard and when you need crossover? Networking aint my specialty.

Crossover when you connect 2 machines together, standard when you connect a machine to a hub/router. Not sure if that is entirely correct, but it's just what I read.

You don't need to use a crossover cable to connect your 360 to your pc. I have my 360 hooked up to my desktop using the ethernet cable that came with the 360 and it works fine. Also, the type of cable won't affect speed at all. Any CAT5 ethernet cable will do just fine.

Hmm, I see, but if I am about to go buy an Ethernet cable just for this case, should I get the crossover or a standard one? I was checking online and they seem about the same price.

A side question, is it possible to have the Ethernet load from a separate adapter?
For example, right now my laptop has onboard adapter, and I also have an extra USB adapter for Wifi, is it possible to set up the ethernet to just use the USB to connect, and my laptop connect with its own onboard adapter?
I tried, but I only bridged the ethernet to the USB adapter, and both the USB and onboard are both connected to the same connection through wifi, onboard not being bridged, and whenever I go online on my laptop, it seems its using a mix of the USB and onboard, and the 360 uses the USB. Kind of confusing and hard to explain.

Back
Top Bottom