Escaping 5 year olds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deimos

In Runtime
This 4th of july week I'm stuck at my dad's house with his wife's relatives. I do have internet which is nice, but the relatives children are driving me nuts. Always following me around and stuff. I go to an arcade and their father tells me to watch them, pushes them towards me, and runs off. So of course the 4 or 5 (I have no clue how old he is) year old picks the most violent game, I guess I could care less though, and in order to reload the little light guns you have to shake it. Less than a minute into the game he's standing there rubbing his head, he smacked himself right in the head with his light gun. As I said they continue to stalk me around the house so I try to geek out and get them bored. I try to relaxe and watch the Twilight Zone marathon and the little boy keeps asking me if there's a monster every 5 minutes of every episode. He just nearly falls asleep but his father comes and tells him to wake up so he can go to bed tonight. Then I tried 2 hours of StarTrek: TNG, it seems that's his achilles heal. Within 1 hour and 15 minutes he's bored out of his mind, but he continues to sit with me and watch. Although he did keep asking me who was a good guy and who's a bad guy, which is sort of wierd untill i relize the only movie he has seen is Star Wars were the whole movie is based around that sort of thing. Maybe he wants to connect with me or something but if you've ever had the same situation and a resolution it would be really helpfull, for tomarrow is the all day Trekathon and I need to get away from the kid.

I think these kids obviously like you and want to be buddies with you.
There really isn't any reasonable way to get them to leave you totally alone so my advice is two things: humor them when they bug you or leave the house during the day (assuming you've got a car and/or someplace better to go). Kids are going to be bugging you constantly later in your life anyways (when you havem) so you should start getting used to how to deal with it now.
As a veteran of annoying younger family members (being the second oldest and having a pretty immature older brother), just paint the situation ina positive light, it's all in how you look at it. They're not bugging you intentionally, they want to be around you. If they didn't like you they'd go and do something else. If you're going to sit around and watch star trek all day of course they're going to be around. When they ask you questions and stuff try to explain a little bit early on and then work in that it's kind of complicated and you're trying to watch and they'll either watch with you (much quieter than before) or go do someting else.

Take him to a toy store and buy him a toy or something and hope to god that he spends all his time playing with it. or maybe buy him 2 or 3, they don't have to be expensive just something that should hold his interest for a while and if ya buy him more than one each time he gets bored with the previous one ya just give him a new one and away he goes, or you could buy him a video game they take up a lot of time and it should keep him busy.

Escaping a 5 year old is a mission impossible. Where I work there is a little 6 year old girl that has become my shadow over the last year. She's there ever wednesday for an hour and the whole time she spends at the desk with me asking me 10,000 questions. I normally find something for her to do to keep her quiet. Like, i'll print a bunch of coloring pages from the crayola website and give her some markers and tell her to go nuts.. which normally lasts for about 3 minutes, with the attention span of a 6 year old.

Sometimes it gets annoying, but hey, at least someone wants to hang out with ya right? j/k - Just turn the 5 year old into your little slave. "Hey, go get me a drink." "Go get me a cookie" "Go answer the door" "Pass me the TV remote"... Eventually they get tired of doing all your dirty work and find someone else "less bossy" to be around... Yeah... that works for about 3 minutes... then they'll be back again.

omg, havoc ur a genius! thats a brilliant idea, i should do that! but i better start getting used to annoyingness, cause my bro is 2 years old......oh boy.....and he will grow, haha.

Sylus said:
Take him to a toy store and buy him a toy or something and hope to god that he spends all his time playing with it.
Or until he breaks it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom