Erm...help?

lhuser

Golden Master
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mother's PC will not boot.

Here's what we did before:

My mother cleaned ou tthe dust while I took out the Socket 462 heatsink. I replaced back the heatsink while she replaced back the RAM.

Now, we turn it on... and automatically turns off after a small amount of time after POST.. I'm like Okay, let's troubleshoot the guy.

I reseat the heatsink correctly and it turns on, but no POST. Reseat Memory, reseat Heatsink, reseat CPU, Reseat GPU, reset BIOS...nothing..nadah. Turns on without post.

What have I forgotten? We're taking it it to techies tommorow if I can't fix it.

Specs:
ASUS K7N-VM
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
512MB RAM Dual Channel
120GB WD HDD
Nvidia Riva TNT2/Model 64 32MB
Stock heatsink/fan

I did check all connections.

Also, the PSU has started to actually do that humming noise and vibrating thing.

And, if that help, you turn the PSU switch to on, the green led in front lights up for no apparant reason.

It sounds like a grounding issue. But you didn't take out the board. With it powering on, and then shutting down, makes me think the processor is overheating. You did clean the processor and heatsink, and re-apply thermal paste, right? If not, this could be the problem.

Thanks...I think I should have applied some and not leave the old thermal pad on. Well, it's out of the house...to the techies.

Back
Top Bottom