Epson Stylus Photo R300 - computer 'sees' it but no print jobs getting through.

js6969

Solid State Member
Hi, my Epson Stylus Photo R300 printer was bought in 2006 and has served me very well with fairly regular but light use until last month. Now, whilst it is connected to my computer, no print jobs are being received by it.

Am I now the proud owner of an antique brick, or can anyone help me please? The printed photos were great quality so I'd like to try and save it if I can.

The only thing I can think of that has changed recently is that I installed a new HDD around three months ago and re-installed Windows 7. I can't remember if I did any printing after that until I was trying last month and found this problem.

I know the printer still worked independently to start with because I was able to print from an SD card installed directly into the R300.
Although now it won't do that either. When it reaches the tab on the screen for how many copies of the chosen image to print, I click ‘OK' button but can't get into that section of the menu. Everything else in the menu like which image, paper size etc. can be reached by pressing the OK button. I have exactly the same problem with trying to print directly from a USB memory stick. I have made sure I've been trying with old USB sticks and SD cards from the same era to make sure they are compatible.

I'm not getting any error messages on the printer's screen. Nor any on my computer other than, basically, "printer not connected" when I try various things..

When I disconnect and connect the printer's USB lead to my computer I hear the usual noise you get when disconnecting / adding a USB device.

I have swapped the USB lead and that hasn't solved things.

I tried to download the latest drivers but when looking online it said they were included in my Windows 7 OS. I tried to install the drivers from my original CD going for custom install with just Printer Driver and Epson Status Monitor 3 (no need for all the other stuff). Printer turned off. But the pop-up window said ‘Program cannot be executed due to configuration setting problem'. Same thing happened for both drivers (printer and status monitor). Didn't work with the printer turned on either, same error messages.

In the Device Manager (Disk Drives) I can see ‘Epson Stylus Storage USB device'. This disappears if I unplug the printer's USB connection and re-appears when I plug it back in.
In the Device Manager (Ports) printer port LPT1 shows no errors.
I can't see any other ‘issues' flagged up in the Device Manager anywhere.

Control Panel - Devices and Printers. I can see my printer in there. I have two things queued to print.
It says my printer is ‘offline'. When I go into ‘adjust print options' and ‘get ink levels' it tells me to check my connection to the printer. I can't do a nozzle check or similar.

I deleted the printer and added it again (Devices and Printers), still no luck.

If it's dead, can anyone suggest a new, good quality equivalent A4 photo printer? All the reviews seem to be for MFD's or A3 printers now. All I need is quality A4 photos printed for my home albums and local photos shows.

Thanks for your help!

Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core i5 760 Lynnfield Socket 1156 LGA
MSI P-55a-G55 mobo
12 GB DDR3 RAM
Nikon D90, Sony NEX-6

SOLVED - By chance I just moved to Plusnet broadband here in the UK. Rather than scripted foreign call centers they have UK based staff. I called to set up the new connection. There was a lull when my new router was re-booting, the chap on the phone sounded knowledgeable so I cheekily asked if he could fix printer connections as well. Turns out he used to work for an online tech-help company and he SOLVED my problem!!!

How??? He told me to turn off the printer then also at the mains. Whilst off at the mains he said to hold down the power button for 20 seconds. Apparently this releases any residual charge in the printer. Then he said to remove and re-add the printer. Bingo -it is now working again. Saved me a couple of hundred pounds not having to buy a new printer and waste the back-up supply of ink I had for the R300.

Hope this works for you if you have a similar problem.

BTW - he also said to link it to the USB1 port. I think it was on the LPT1 beforehand. When I had removed it, then turned it back on my computer recognised it automatically and added it straight to USB1. Maybe that was the problem all along??? Who knows, it's working again that's all that matters.

Back
Top Bottom