Enterprise WLAN w/consumer products

iPwn

..m.0,0.m..,
Hello Interwebz!

A client of mine is building a new home and I will be ordering all the equipment in the upcoming days/week. I have all the items selected except the networking gear, hence this post.

In their other three homes, there exist a Firewall, Router, switches, and Cisco WAP's which were setup by another party. I know enough about the devices and the 'cash line interface' to make minor changes, but not enough to configure from scratch. I also know that I can 'show run' in a putty instance and paste the results in another putty session to duplicate settings... but I'm trying to save them a little money on equipment (even though they clearly are not concerned with that...)

So.
If I were to purchase consumer available products; which would allow me to have a central switch, with two WAPs broadcasting two separate SSID's (Public and Private)?

Is this possible w/consumer devices or do I need to start configuring Cisco ish...?

Absolutely. Key is to put them on different subnets so they'll have no clue who is who. Being for a home, how many people will be on the "public" network? My asus RT-N66U has a "guest network" function built in to do this. It can have up to 6 networks, but I'm not sure if that's 1 user per network or 6 different segregated networks that only get internet access.

To add some detail, you can get away with a regular access point in for the regular private network, the access point for the public network can just be any old router. Plug the switch into the "internet" or "wan" port and the router's nature will segregate the clients from what's on the otherside.

There could be any number of people on the guest network. They hold week long events (outdoorsy events) at their homes a few times a year with up to 50 guests, any number of them on WiFi.

What I'm confused about is how to push the separate LANs through the ports.
Here's how I see it working (from experience w/consumer devices and I realize I'm most likely wrong)

Router broadcasting private network - extending to the two waps on the far ends of the home.

I could then create a separate LAN through a single port, switch > two additional WAPs

but that's a total of four WAPS, two at each broadcast location (then figuring channel separation), which seems to me like more trouble than it's worth considering I can grab the running config from the existing Cisco Aironet devices in their home here.

Probably better just purchasing the same setup they have here... thoughts?

Ended up going w/these
1x Linksys LGS124P
2x D-Link DAP-2360

Thanks for the input cele!

Sorry thought i posted my reply. guess not, sorry. Did you set it up yet? If not, let me know the results!

Use different vlans for the guest network and home network,

That way you can separate the traffic, use QoS, decide what ports you want to truck the vlans or allow access lists to...

There isnt a great amount of consumer kit that will let you do this, the features that you seem to want to use are far away abovem average home use scenarios!

If you're not comfortable using the console (via cable or SSH) see if you can use' the Adam programme for connecting.

Back
Top Bottom