eMachine beeps three times at start-up and nothing comes on the monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellevendy

Baseband Member
Started happening after i cleaned the inside of my tower.
I don't know a ton about computers, but i was careful, and i've done this at least a hundred times before with no problems.

I did one thing different tho.
I took out my RAM and external video card to look at them (because i'm getting a new of each soon). They went back in fine and i didn't touch anything else.

If I turn the monitor on myself it says no signal for a couple of seconds until the light goes orange and the screen goes black.

It sounds fine. (when i've heard of this problem before people said the fan sounded like it was spinning faster and louder).

I've checked to see if stuff is loose a hundred times and nothing is.

Well first thinig I would do is open up your case again and check in there. Take out the RAM and re-install it making sure it's in the right sockets (usually 1 and 3 if you have two sticks of RAM)

Then check your vid card. Was there power connected to it that you didn't plug back in? Anyway take it out of it's socket and place it back firmly

Also when you turn the computer back on leave one side of the case open so you can see what is happening ie CPU fan working? LED's lighting up? Vid card fan working?

i'll try to remember to check all of that stuff (i'm over at my friend's)

also, i googled for a solution and found an old forum on some other site, it sounded like the same problem i'm having but it never got finished, there was just a few suggestions and then it went dead.

anyway, one of the suggestions was to put your hand on the hard drive with the computer on. if it's not vibrating then it's probably not receiving power.

well, i don't think mine is, i have the power plugged into it and it plugged into the motherboard but it doesn't seem to be on. what do i do if that's the case?

A computer will POST even if the hard drive is removed, try what Tommy Boy said, remove the ram, inspect it, and reinsert it making sure it is in there the exact same way, also did you install any new hardware just before this started to happen???

So, remove RAM/Video card/any other PCI card, with no power to the system, then reinsert them.

If that don't work, try with just the RAM and video, if so then it is a different PCI card.

i got a new external hard drive that auto installed something when i plugged it in.

thanks.
i'll try all that, but my dad already called geeksquad.

i got a new external hard drive that auto installed something when i plugged it in.

thanks.
i'll try all that, but my dad already called geeksquad.

You're going to waste money then, man =\. Geeksquad is terrible...overpriced and underqualified. If you didn't send it to t hem yet...then try this if the otehr things didn't work: see that little silver button battery? Take that out for about 2 minutes or so. Make sure the power cord is unplugged from the computer, press the power button a few times to discharge any remaining power, and then remove that little button battery. Put it back in after about 2 minutes, and plug the computer back in. See if that makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom