electoral college

Status
Not open for further replies.
beedubaya said:
Without the electoral college, only California, New York, and possibly Texas would be electing our president. People in small states might as well not even vote.

you're missing the point. without the electoral college, states DON'T elect the president. each vote counts as much as any other vote. without the electoral college, people in small states should be more inclined to vote because it's not "this state is blue, this one is red"....it's about each individual vote.

under the electoral college, you could have 3 people in Texas vote, 2 vote republican, 1 vote democrat, then the republican gets a HUGE amount of electorals, regardless of how many people ACTUALLY voted.

People are against the electoral college now because if it wasn't for it, Bush wouldn't be president. I bet if it was the other way around, i.e. Bush wins the popular vote, Gore wins the electoral college, then people wouldn't be complaining so much over it.

maybe for some, but for me I'm against it because of the principle that what the country wanted is not what we got, regardless of the outcome. you don't find it disturbing that the man in office isn't who this country actually wanted there?

The framers of the Constitution were very intelligent. We should go by the Constitution instead of trying to change it up, as people on both sides of the aisle are doing (Democrats with electoral college, gun rights, and republicans with right to privacy).

of course they were smart, but they were by no means able to forsee the future. like was already mentioned, they implemented the electoral college originally because news didn't spread fast enough for the majority of the country to make an informed decision, let alone an itelligent one. nowadays, people can at least make an informed decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom