Education options

Birdyx

Beta member
I want to start a career in IT and my end goal is to be either on the networking or security side.

To get a BS in comp sci at my closest state school I will have to learn calculus and programming among a bunch of other stuff that is not related to networking or security,

If I want to start working as soon as possible and just work my way up the pay grade, then what is my best bet for education?

Thanks in advance

If you don't want to go into programming, then don't do Comp Sci - that's literally what the major is; though it does touch on other areas of computing (networking, security, hardware, etc.) it's primary focus is programming / software development. Find a school that offers networking and/or security majors.

Birdyx;2192585[U said:
]I want to start a career in IT and my end goal is to be either on the networking or security side.

To get a BS in comp sci at my closest state school I will have to
learn calculus and programming among a bunch of other stuff that is not related to networking or security,

If I want to start working as soon as possible and just work my way up the pay grade, then what is my best bet for education?

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't go that far. You don't have to be a Math whiz or some Algebra god to be in IT. To finish your degree, yes but in the real world, they have nothing to do with coding. Will it help? Yes but what you really need to do is learn programming. Pick a language or two and work your way up. It will be a heck of a lot cheaper.

I wouldn't go that far. You don't have to be a Math whiz or some Algebra god to be in IT. To finish your degree, yes but in the real world, they have nothing to do with coding. Will it help? Yes but what you really need to do is learn programming. Pick a language or two and work your way up. It will be a heck of a lot cheaper.

Depends on what you're programming... Some systems rely heavily on calculations and such, which may at times require you to figure out what those calculations are. Even more so in game development, particularly physics pieces.

Back
Top Bottom