Earn some cash

IAntDemo

xxcobraxx
Ok guys, I think I just thought of a great idea for those with small cash or those who want to earn abit of cash on the side.

Ok, what would be a good idea to start with would be to publish yourself in the evening paper.

Now, you can think of what you would call yourself to put in the paper, such as : We set up wireless, all you need is the modem box! free quotes at no cost just call 01115999 two seven twenty five trillion (never mind).

Ok, so your wondering where is he going with this? china that's where. no honestly I'm going no where.

Ok, this is what you could do, if someone phones you and says, hi I want wireless internet, you'd ask them if they have wireless on their pc or laptop and what kind of modem box their using and also the width of the range they want their wireless, once they have told you that little bit of info you'd go on ebay, ok so lets say they ask you this:

Hi, I have a ADSL modem box and I'm two rooms away from the modem box where I would use my wireless, its a distance of 10meters.

Ok you would look for a reasonable wireless kit, and this would do the job:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIRELESS-FIRE...em?hash=item330256388549&_trksid=p3913.c0.m22

£25pound total and then you charge what ever on top, your gonner need all the tools and cables.

Ok so I'd charge them £40 for a quick 20min setup but take your time because its best to do this.

If you don't understand then I mean you get yourself in the paper tell people you will set their internet up to wireless and all they need is wireless on their machine and a modem box. tell them you have the wireless router yourself.

So if someone phones you up, give them a quote.

And you can also add your own inputs such as it comes with 1 year warrenty and we come out at no extra cost to fix and repair the internet.

__________________________________________________ ________-----

Input from ROOT:

As I work in IT support, I'll tell you that this is a bad idea.

it's not the offering to setup wireless that's the bad idea, in fact that's a rather good idea, if you can get jobs geographically close together you could do in the region of five installations an evening, with £2o profit on each one that's a £100 a night whilst the customer base holds up).

it's supplying equipment, (people break things, and you're offering warranty on second hand goods?).
if one box breaks you have to get another and you loose all the profit of that job and pay another £10, that's assuming that they are willing to wait for you to order another one). and they aren't going to be willing to pay for another box after the one you supplied has broken.

you're getting the boxes for £25 from ebay and charging £40 for the whole install.

you're better off buying the boxes new for £40 at PC world and charging £50 or £60 for the installation.

at least that way if the hardware fails you can just take it back to your supplier. (i.e hardware fixes are FOC for you, this won't be the case if you get them from Ebay, even if they do say that they offer a warranty, you just can't tell if they go up the spout, if the honour the warranty etc...).

Then there is your free support option.

just as a quick question here, (open to everyone),

how many people live with the non tech savy (parents/friends/partners)?

how many times has the internet 'broken' whilst you are out?

how many times has it stayed broken till you're home to fix it?

or how many times have you heard the phrase, "the internet is broken/bugger/F***ed again!" with the connotation that it's your job to fix it?

personally I could probably count perhaps 10 times in the past half a year, for a variety of reasons... here are the ones that I can remember...

it's turned off -at the wall.
the cable modem needs to be reset so that the wireless router attached to it can connect to the internet.
the cable beween the wireless router and the cable modem has come unplugged at one end.
the power cable has fallen out of one of the devices.
the new computer/laptop/wifi enabled phone doesn't have the wireless key
the service provider is dead/has died
the service provider is capping the service as the download limit is reached

can you imagine what happens when you are being called each time something like this happens?
your quick £10 for 20 minutes work soon turns into a poor £10 for many hours on the phone saying "have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

As I work in IT support, I'll tell you that this is a bad idea.

it's not the offering to setup wireless that's the bad idea, in fact that's a rather good idea, if you can get jobs geographically close together you could do in the region of five installations an evening, with £2o profit on each one that's a £100 a night whilst the customer base holds up).

it's supplying equipment, (people break things, and you're offering warranty on second hand goods?).
if one box breaks you have to get another and you loose all the profit of that job and pay another £10, that's assuming that they are willing to wait for you to order another one). and they aren't going to be willing to pay for another box after the one you supplied has broken.

you're getting the boxes for £25 from ebay and charging £40 for the whole install.

you're better off buying the boxes new for £40 at PC world and charging £50 or £60 for the installation.

at least that way if the hardware fails you can just take it back to your supplier. (i.e hardware fixes are FOC for you, this won't be the case if you get them from Ebay, even if they do say that they offer a warranty, you just can't tell if they go up the spout, if the honour the warranty etc...).

Then there is your free support option.

just as a quick question here, (open to everyone),

how many people live with the non tech savy (parents/friends/partners)?

how many times has the internet 'broken' whilst you are out?

how many times has it stayed broken till you're home to fix it?

or how many times have you heard the phrase, "the internet is broken/bugger/F***ed again!" with the connotation that it's your job to fix it?

personally I could probably count perhaps 10 times in the past half a year, for a variety of reasons... here are the ones that I can remember...

it's turned off -at the wall.
the cable modem needs to be reset so that the wireless router attached to it can connect to the internet.
the cable beween the wireless router and the cable modem has come unplugged at one end.
the power cable has fallen out of one of the devices.
the new computer/laptop/wifi enabled phone doesn't have the wireless key
the service provider is dead/has died
the service provider is capping the service as the download limit is reached

can you imagine what happens when you are being called each time something like this happens?
your quick £10 for 20 minutes work soon turns into a poor £10 for many hours on the phone saying "have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

I did'nt think about things like that.

Good good man, now people might start it and if their successful its threw most of your input

I think you might be better off building someone computers. Like, they tell you what they want it to do. You supply them with the list of pieces and prices that would fit their computer well. They order it. You build it. You charge the $20. Besides being fun, it's easy money.

edit: Just hard to find customers. You could start off by putting yourself as a PC builder in the neighborhood catalog.

^Only problem with that is Dell, HP, Alienware, Voodoo, and any other major manufacturer have you beat with wholesale prices.

I'm not sure that you understood my idea. The person would be building a computer from newegg. They'd pay for parts and all. The only thing they'd pay me is for figuring out the right parts and putting it together for them =D

I understand but you can get a laptop/pc cheaper threw the bigger advertisement names at an affordable rate, alot of families would be just after a standard pc and that's what you need to do is hit the market.

I understand but you can get a laptop/pc cheaper threw the bigger advertisement names at an affordable rate, alot of families would be just after a standard pc and that's what you need to do is hit the market.

I have to disagree. For any computer you can buy brand-built, one can custom build a cheaper one.

problem with building PC's for people is if it breaks you could end up out of pocket with them not wanting to wait for you to return parts for RMA

and it isnt cheaper once you come to an OS cos the likes of DELL and HP get theirs at a massively reduced rate

and dell and HP got you beat on warrenties i think seeing as you can get things like 3 or 4 year warrenties

i think the best idea like this is
We fix pc problems , no fix no fee , that way you can go round look at the problem and if you know its fixable and not going to me too much hassle you can do a fix but if it looks too tricky or its gonna be a load of hassle for not a lot of profit you dont have to take the job

Not just that your in constant business a lot of the times cos with the wireless idea once youve installed it chances are people wont want another wireless installation done ver soon after , whereas people always have PC problms and quite often you will buiold up a few good customer relationships with non tech savvy people
although good idea there with putting it in an evening paper , depending on where you live there are also free papers on busses and stuff you could get them in there are in afew local corner shops maybe i know mine lets you but signs up in the window for about 50P a week which isnt bad

Back
Top Bottom