E-mail warning

Kage

Golden Master
Hey Everyone that uses AOL and Yahoo Messenger.

A new worm is being passed along by E-mail about the new StarWars movie.

The AOL one reads as so:

"hehe, i found this funny movie".

What this one does is if you click the link, it downloads a worm allowing a hacker to get control of your PC.

The Yahoo one has "StarGames" as a link, and what this one does is sends you to what looks like a real yahoo site, yet it is a phishing con to steal your logon details!

Don't open any!!!

HOPE:

Netcraft has released a security toolbar for Firefox browsers, and Internet Explorer to try and stop phishing scams.
It relies on people earmarking webaddresses and passing them on to other users so the program knows whats real and whats not.

You can find it here:

http://toolbar.netcraft.com

A other good way of checking is if you are signing details like passwords, a password should appear on the top toolbar, or bottom saying the website is safe. If this doesn't appear, it could be a fake, though even these can be faked now using fake certificates.
Luckily, these can also be looked at.

I hope this helps :)

Yeah :)

Ah right, this has been moved. Sorry, i thought because it was kind of to do with Instant messengers it should have gone there, sorry mate.

Its something else. The e-mails themselves would give you a real looking website to steal login details, as all phishing scams do.

The program though I gave relies like I said on people forwarding complaints to its database to block the site, and tells you if you've entered a phishing scam website. Alot would probably be covered now, as I'm sure at least one person in the world sends data off to the database to protect people :)

yeah, they steal your passwords and personal info and stuff....as always DON'T CLICK ON EMAIL LINKS! instead, if it's something you really want to see, find the first part of the url (www.whatever.com) and type it in manually into your browser and then search around for what you want to see. it might be less convenient, but you won't get hosed with a phishing scam or spam or something like that, because clicking on links in emails is a good way to get spam too.

Its also a great way of getting trogans and viruses :p

I mean..if you wanted pets...buy a cat, but don't go looking for bugs! :p

Kage said:
Its also a great way of getting trogans and viruses :p

I mean..if you wanted pets...buy a cat, but don't go looking for bugs! :p

yeah I failed to mention the viruses...lol

Back
Top Bottom