Dyeing Harddrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PILMAN

In Runtime
I think my harddrive is dyeing. I recently used speedfan to lower the speed of my cpu fan as it was very loud and now I'm hearing some strange noises from my hd's. Sometimes it sounds like a window cleaner running his tool down the window. It's not super loud but it's to the point I'm getting a bit paranoid and worried. I've had the harddrives for maybe 4 years but I never noticed any noise because my cpu fans always been loud. I have recorded the sound

http://www.serveraddict.net/~nationc/harddrive.mp3

from 4 seconds to about 7 seconds you can hear the harddrive noise, the other background noise is just the fans, they sound distorted for some reason but ignore that sound. Let me know your opinion.

Run scandisk on them. I'm at work so I cant listen to the sound, but if i remember, i will when I get home and try to help out a little better.

Umm...if it is your HDDs, then they are prolly going out. That sound is pretty nasty for a HDD. So, make sure it is your HDDs are making that sound, and run scandisk (like Him said). Also, try running one HDD at a time, maybe one HDD is the only one bad.

I am not sure if it existed back then, but most (or all) HDD these days have SMART cpabability, which is basically a self dianostic. A program like SpeedFan can tell the HDD to run that kind of test (if the HD is capable of doing so) and report the results. If they come vback fine, then check your mountings. It may be possible your drives have shaken loose over prolonged use and are making that sound you hear.

Yeah I have SMART but it doesn't report any problems. The noise doesn't happen too often, only occasionally if I'm doing some heavy downloading.

That shredding noise by the way is my case fan, theres a filter it's grinding on so ignore that sound. The sound I'm talking about sounds sorta like some clicks you can hear it from 4 seconds to 7 seconds. It's easy to miss but ignore the noise you hear that sounds like a razor or shredding thats just my case fan.

Just remember, better safe then sorry! Back up everything now just in case it is the HDD, it sounds like it would be though.

-Ryan

I just dusted out my computer with canned air, it seems to be running a bit smoother now. I dunno how dust coulda affected it but I'm going to purchase a 2nd hd and back my stuff up on there just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom