DVDRW/CDRW drive troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
Hey guys, I've got a bit of a problem, I have a Sony DVD-RW/ CD-RW drive and although I can burn CDs fine, I can't burn DVDs. When I put in a blank DVD it recognizes it but when I try to click and drag it gives an error message like, "drive not ready" or something about not being able to access it. Any suggestions? I want to be able to burn data DVDs and videos.

If the DVD you are trying to use isnt on Sony's list of compatible media, then it might be an incompatible disc. If it is on the list, then your drive's lens might be dirty or the drive is starting to die.

Could be a problem with the drive. Is the disc the correct format? Ex. DVD-R or DVD+R? Also make sure your dont have other programs open that use the drive. Like Alcohol 120% or AnyDVD or anything to that effect.

Hmmm... Well it's a new drive and it can write cd's so I don't think the lens is dirty. Compatible media you say? How can I check that?

Should say it right on the box when you first bought it. That is a huge thing with DVD-RW drives. When they first came out, and you put the wrong media in there, it would ruin the drive to the point that you would need to buy a new one. nowadays it just wont work until you put the correct media in it.

It tells you right on the box. It's either going to be DVD-R, DVD+R, or Dual Format.

Well, unfortunately my pc was custom built and I have no documentation on the optical drives for some reason. But the site said it was dual layered DVD-R/ DVD-RW. And I bought DVD-R's.

Hmmm...... I see. Were you trying to burn them in dual layer? You need special discs to burn dual layer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom