DVD RW Vanished !

rocketpants

Baseband Member
A few days ago is was burning a few dvd's with no problem, turn on my pc this morning & it doesnt work, no lights at all & it doesnt appear in "My Computer" either (the rest of the pc seems fine) , changed the cable & even tried another spare dvd rom I have, but with the same problem ! ... Is it my mother board...? any suggestions please ..

is it IDE or SATA?

if its IDE, your IDE header could be at fault on your Mobo

could try to switch the power plug out with another one from your PSU.

As SniperViper21 said, is it a SATA or IDE DVD drive?

And just to clarify, I think SniperViper means the Molex Plug that go's into the Disk Drive, not the Kettle Plug that goes into the back of your PSU.

Thanks for the replys, not wishing to sound too thick but how can i tell if its either Ide or sata ? .. I can usually find my way around my pc to reasonable level, but once i have established which one it is, may needs a little help to make any adjustments, could it be possible that the power supply needs replacing ? thnaks

IDE = a 24 pin wide, gray ribbon cable, that says master on the top, and slave in the middle

SATA = a much thiner red cable that plugs into the drive, then to a SATA port on the motherboard.

it could also be your upper and lower filters. My mothers laptop did the same thing and I went in and deleted the upper and lower filters and rebooted the computer and it came back and it hasnt disappeared again since.

To try this you have to go in and delete them from the registry editor.

1. go to run and type in regedit
2. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
3. go to System
4. go to Current Control Set (you might have a couple different control sets so check each one for the the next steps since some might not have step 7 and the correct step 8 folder)
6. go to Control
7. go to Class
8. then select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 (there is going to be alot that look like this one make sure it is this one)
9. once you get here look for anything that says upper filters, lower filters, upper filters.bak, lowerfilters.bak and delete them (right click on them and click delete). Once you do this close the registry editor and reboot your computer.

This is how I did it and it worked but if this does not work than it could be like sniper stated something hardware related. I would try to delete the filters before messing with anything else though since it is a very easy fix

it could also be your upper and lower filters. My mothers laptop did the same thing and I went in and deleted the upper and lower filters and rebooted the computer and it came back and it hasnt disappeared again since.

3. go to System
4. go to Current Control Set (you might have a couple different control sets so check each one for the the next steps since some might not have step 7 and the correct step 8 folder)
6. go to Control
7. go to Class
8. then select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 (there is going to be alot that look like this one make sure it is this one)
9. once you get here look for anything that says upper filters, lower filters, upper filters.bak, lowerfilters.bak and delete them (right click on them and click delete). Once you do this close the registry editor and reboot your computer.

This is how I did it and it worked but if this does not work than it could be like sniper stated something hardware related. I would try to delete the filters before messing with anything else though since it is a very easy fix

You should really backup the registry before doing this because if you do one step wrong you could really screw up the computer.

IDE = a 24 pin wide, gray ribbon cable, that says master on the top, and slave in the middle

SATA = a much thiner red cable that plugs into the drive, then to a SATA port on the motherboard.

Its IDE mate

3. go to System
6. go to Control
7. go to Class

Thanks for that, did try it, but didnt reolve the problem, might even back up my stuff & reformat see if that makes a differance, the pc in 4 yrs old & there is a small batter next to the interface on the mobo, dont suppose that could be anything to do with it , its an Asus board , am inclined to think it may be the powersupply, but loathed to buy another one only to find that isnt the problem ..

funny thing is, its shows a floppy drive in "my computer" when i dont have a floppy !

I'd guess its the drive itself gone bad. It is probably misreading it and showing it as the floppy. A reload won't help issues if it's hardware related, plus you'll have a tough time formating without an optical drive.

I'd guess its the drive itself gone bad. It is probably misreading it and showing it as the floppy. A reload won't help issues if it's hardware related, plus you'll have a tough time formating without an optical drive.

Oh Yeah, hadnt thought about that ! lol ... Unlikely to be the drive itself tho, as tried a spare & that didnt work either, strange how the rest of the pc seems to be ok tho, i guess a trip to my local pc shop is now the only option, ho hum .

Back
Top Bottom